OT: i got this weird "Paypal security measures" email

teardrop

• Members

We are contacting you to remind you that: on 10 June 2005 our Account Review Team identified some unusual activity in your account, one or more attempts to log in to your PayPal account from a foreign IP address.

and then it lists a few IP addresses and when they tried logging in and it says they're from Romania and Poland.

and then it says:

In accordance with PayPal's User Agreement and to ensure that your account has not been compromised, access to your account was limited. Your account access will remain limited until this issue has been resolved. To secure your account and quickly restore full access, we may require some additional information from you.

To securely confirm your PayPal information please go directly to https://www.paypal.com/ log in to your PayPal account and perform the steps necessary to restore your account access as soon as possible or click bellow:

To continue your verification procedure click here

Thank you for using PayPal!

The PayPal Team

any ideas? :confused:

• Members

i've heard of these "phishing" scams, and that sounds alot like one. be careful, make sure that it is indeed Paypal contacting you and not someo one with the same typeface and logos, etc. if they ask you for account numbers and what not, BEWARE!!!

• Members

Did they use a personal salutation in the opening of the email with your actual name as registered in paypal? If not it's a scam...send it to the spoof paypal site or just delete the email entirely...don't open the link...

• Members

interesting. Thanks for the heads up. And yeah usually the link in your email takes you somewhere other than paypal. Just to be safe, regarding emails about anything financial, its always best to just delete the email and contact paypal, your bank or whatever if you want to know the truth.

• Members

The evil scam is that they will go to some site (often hacked into) and open a daughter window while the main site bounces forward to the real paypal site. So you have this daughter window that asks for your information while in the back you see a legitimate PayPal window so you think you are safe. Not so, it is a scam. Run.

• Members

Don't follow the link but rather just send me all of your money. I'll make sure it goes to a good purpose, promise.

btw, this is a scam - Paypal and E-bay both have policies where they will not send you any link to follow in an e-mail.

Archived