Calling BigTone Keith! Update on DIY silkscreen?

Speeddemon

• Members

well, I'm mainly interested in 2 things:

1) gettin WHITE text on your pedals (not some prefab Arial or Courier or worse (Comic Sans) letter stuff, but your own custom text)
2) bigger graphics that look better silkscreened than with decals.

• Members

I got some samples and here's my opinion.

They produce very nice high res screens, however they have a few issues.

1. You need to mount them on a frame and build a jig, otherwise they are little more than a stencil and somewhat useless.

2. You'll waste a few sheets getting the hang of the exposure time. IMO, only use bright high noon sunshine.

3. Make sure you get the larger 8 x 11 sheets/kit. The smaller kit is too small to mount on a frame. Also, make sure you get the "high res" screens as they come in 2 qualities and the regular res isn't fine enough for the size font one would use one a pedal.

4. These are basically a mesh screen covered with a water saluable emulsion that hardens when exposed to UV light. Even though it has been hardened once it's been exposed, when you wash them they soften up a little and become very sticky, so you have to be careful when you dry them.

Other than that, they make great screens. Super easy.

• Members

One other thing I should mention. The manufacturere says the screens will hold up even against solvent based inks, so that is a good thing. I only tried them with water base.

Also, I used plain printer paper. They say if you use transparency paper you'll get the best results and it also cuts your exposure time to 30 seconds.

• 10 months later...
  • Members

Originally posted by Speeddemon

Hey Keith, where can I get the stuff?

(yeah, old bump)

Sorry, Remco. I can't even remember the company name, let alone the link. I think it was something like Photo-ez.

Also, try John (a.k.a. goodkarma) at eroticfx. He's making REAL custom screens and his prices are super cheap. I think it's a much better way to go than the DIY screens.

http://www.eroticfxpedals.com

• Members

Originally posted by MadSkillzMan

are you guys using kits for this? or just straight screen and emulsion?

The photo-ez "stencils" are screens with emulsion already on them. You just put the artwork on top (inverted) and expose to sunlight. The exposed emulsion will cure. The unexposed emulsion is water saluable. SO after exposure, you soak it in water and rinse away the unexposed areas.

• Members
Originally posted by bigtonemusic

Sorry, Remco. I can't even remember the company name, let alone the link. I think it was something like Photo-ez.

Also, try John (a.k.a. goodkarma) at eroticfx. He's making REAL custom screens and his prices are super cheap. I think it's a much better way to go than the DIY screens.

http://www.eroticfxpedals.com

I'm not sure I understand you here;
does he make the screens so that I can silkscreen my own pedals,
or does he silkscreen the enclosures himself?

:confused:

• 8 months later...
  • Members

Hi,
Stay away from Erotic FX Pedals aka private label. The guy burnt me for $359.79 which I sent him a money order up front, and he gave me the song and dance that when shipped out, the delivery truck was quarantined and he would rebuild them and ship them with in a week. No such luck. He is a scam artist. I ordered these back in August and it is almost the end of December, 2006. If you have any questions, email me at danmercer214@hotmail.com
Thanx and beware,
Dan

Archived