Humbuckers for coil splitting advice

• Members

After using single coils for many years (Strats-Teles), I'm now using humbuckers with coil taps in my backup guitar (Ibanez Jet King 2 - Super '58 pups). I like the humbucker sound I'm getting, but want more output from single coil setting. What would be a good pickup swap to get more powerful single coil sound? Rio Grande Tallboys? Anything DiMarzio? Never liked Duncan stuff. Any knowledge is appreciated. Neck pickup is first consideration.

Thanks, guys (gals).

• Members

Check out the GFS Dream 180 on Ebay. I really love them more than enough for the tapped sound, the full bucker sound is just a bonus. I have a couple in bridge positons, and my tele loving ear loves the sound. I should mention that in the bridge position, I use the use the coil closest to the bridge when tapped, this is oppisite of their recomended usage.

Watch the acutions on Ebay, you can sometimes get them for $25, or you can BIN them for about $45.

• Members

Originally posted by valvedriventone

have you tried coil-tapping it in series/parallel?

series parallel switching is what you want. Parallel subs perfectly for a beefy singlecoil sound, with no noise. Its really the combined sound of two single coils. A great spanky tone. Then series is the regular chunky bucker sound.

Jetking owners:

I have an ibanez jetking and arranged for series parallel switching as follows, ...the switching is slightly more complex than just tapping the coils:

Bridge humbucker-Installed a push pull pot for the tone ctrl and wired it with series/parallel switching for the bridge bucker. This wiring diagram can be found on pickup package inserts of 4 conductor pickups or online...

Neck humbucker - I wired the two nearby coil cut switches together! You can wire them together to form the same 6 pole switch as the pushpull pot, then use them together to switch series/parallel on the neck pickup. If the two switches are opposite eachother the neck pickup is turned off, which can be useful, ie for stuttering fx. etc.

I used a nickel cover dimarzio virtual paf in the bridge and duncan seth lover in the neck (took the nickel cover off to make it brighter).

Its a sweet playing, toneful and very adaptable gtr!

Archived