Yamaha SY99 sounds/patches, anyone?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Could anyone point me in the right direction where to get SY99 patches, especially analog and original DX7 sounds?

Someone here left a link before, but i couldn't find it.

Cheers :thu:

Guest Anonymous

Cheerz for the link, Triton76.

Hey, piggy,

Some of the sounds on that link are sweeeet. The Oberheim pads and analog type strings are phaaat and rich, a really good start point to edit from. These SY's are huge sounding.

Guest Anonymous

Originally posted by Mike Conway

Hey, thanks for these links! The SY99 is the one synth that I will probably never sell. It's magic.

Agreed.

The sounds in those links really show off the analog and very organic nature of the SY99 and there are quite a few Vangelis type patches that really capture that vibe and mood. The original DX7, SY77 and TG77 presets are good starting points to edit new sounds.

Worlds best kept secret the SY99 :) helps being the rarest of 90's synths though.

Reading recent threads here on the subject of powerful 90's digital synths, JD800, Z1, Wavestation, its a real shame that the SY99 rarely gets a mention, its just such a rare synth. The upside of this is that owners have one very exclusive synth, enormous sonic and sound shaping ability, its a programmers dream.

In my opinion and as good as those other synths are, the SY99 easily blows them away and right across the board. My old favourite the Wavestation takes second place to the SY99 for pads and evolving soundscapes when programmed correctly. Some of the sounds in those links really show off the power and its surprising how often its the FM doing the warm analog type stuff and not just the AWM samples.

Im wasting hours trying and tweeking all these new sounds when i really should be making music though, the oberheim pads and filter sweeps in those links are top notch.

• Members

Originally posted by Musique

here on the subject of powerful 90's digital synths, JD800, Z1, Wavestation, its a real shame that the SY99 rarely gets a mention

I mention SY-77 all the time:

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=15841706#post15840498

And even post some demos (not sure if url's still work tho):

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=15841706#post15841706

• Members

http://www.fm-alive.com/pages/SY%20Manager.aspx

Try the SY Manager software editor. Should be free, and i think it has poop loads of DX presets and other patches already loaded.

Also, a utility for converting DX patches.

Also, I have patches if you should need more.

SY-99 was Yamaha's best digital ever, too bad they've been going backwards on FM since then.

Also, don't forget the wonderful Musitronics accesories for the 99, such as the sample expander. I'm vaguely thinking of selling my 77 at some point because i just dont have any studio space for it... but then again I cant really bear the thought of letting it go for less than I feel it is worth, and the market might not bear that right now... so maybe ill just keep it for that rainy day.

Dont get me wrong, i love it, but with the Waldorf XT and Absynth, I dont exactly need it. Not that anything else can make the exact sounds it can, but those methane type atmospheric pads can be done with the others.

One of the better files I have for the SY is 99 simple patterns for the sequencer. Fun stuff.

I recommend a BC-3 and a Fanis mod (disk drive).

• Members

Originally posted by Analog Kid

I'm vaguely thinking of selling my 77 at some point because i just dont have any studio space for it... but then again I cant really bear the thought of letting it go for less than I feel it is worth, and the market might not bear that right now...

Exactly same situation here. I've seen SY-77 go for ridiculously low. Such a shame. I even met a guy who uses it just as a master keyboard. :rolleyes:

Guest Anonymous

Originally posted by Don Solaris

I mention SY-77 all the time:

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=15841706#post15840498

And even post some demos (not sure if url's still work tho):

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=15841706#post15841706

Nice synth the SY77, i've had a few of them, the SY99 just takes things to an whole new level. For starters, the AWM samples are much better. The SY77 has a charm all of its own which i quite liked, the SY99 AWM waves are in a different league though and it makes a real difference. Create a crystal clear FM sound on the SY99 and you'll find just as clear a sound in the AWM waves, same for authentic analog sounds, Yamaha listened to the critics after the SY77, the AWM samples are top notch.

The keyboard action is wonderful and lite years away from the SY77, so are the onboard effects. I find FM so dynamic and expressive that it deserves the highest quality key action, this is where Yamaha also made an important change.

I'll check those links you left :thu:

Guest Anonymous

Originally posted by Analog Kid

Try the SY Manager software editor. Should be free, and i think it has poop loads of DX presets and other patches already loaded.

Also, a utility for converting DX patches.

Also, I have patches if you should need more.

SY-99 was Yamaha's best digital ever, too bad they've been going backwards on FM since then.

Also, don't forget the wonderful Musitronics accesories for the 99, such as the sample expander. I'm vaguely thinking of selling my 77 at some point because i just dont have any studio space for it... but then again I cant really bear the thought of letting it go for less than I feel it is worth, and the market might not bear that right now... so maybe ill just keep it for that rainy day.

Dont get me wrong, i love it, but with the Waldorf XT and Absynth, I dont exactly need it. Not that anything else can make the exact sounds it can, but those methane type atmospheric pads can be done with the others.

One of the better files I have for the SY is 99 simple patterns for the sequencer. Fun stuff.

I recommend a BC-3 and a Fanis mod (disk drive).

The sample option of the SY99 is its ace card and you can also load smaller samples using floppies.

The pattern loop quantize record feature on the SY77 and SY99 is the most musical sequencer i have used and syncs up to other devices as master or slave.

People selling SY77 for those low prices might regret doing so though, more so if they are trading them in for todays must haves. Prices will rise, more so for the SY99, already signs of this happening. The SY99 is the desirable model but its so rare you will need to pay a premium, this means many will settle for the sy77.

The SY99 already has cult status ( just try finding one ) but both the SY77 and SY99 are still quite modern synths, not quite made that much needed " vintage " status, yet.

All it will take is a good article in soundonsound or other mags ( it will happen ) and in a few years it will all kick off.

• Members

I have actually taken a lot of the 10,000+ DX patches and converted them to the SY-99 format using the X2Y convertor that comes with SY Manager. I'm maybe about halfway through that project, but got sidetracked with other things and never got back around to it. At one point I was gonna try and write a script to automate the conversion because of the sheer magnitude of the project. Maybe I'll look into that again here shortly.

I'll definitely go through what I've got and post them if anyone is interested. I also have an old Sound Diver bank that has most of those floppy disks together in one big file. I'll try to go through my stuff tonight after work and sort out what I've got so far.

Thanks!

bax

Guest Anonymous

Dugman, sounds like a really interesting project you got going there. Id be really interested to hear your sounds and advice on how to make loading and saving files easier. FM has such a wide palette and sound possibilitis its almost untrue.

AnalogK, i'll take a look at that editor thingy, later.

• Members

@Musique - no problem...I'll get together what I have so far and get them on my site in the near future. As far as loading and saving stuff, the SY is kinda cumbersome to use in that respect. The SY Manager software lets you do that a little easier so I'd definitely look at that if you have Windows (I don't think there is a Mac version). I also set a Jump shortcut to the load and save pages on mine to make it less button presses from the front panel, so you might look into that.

The trick about the converted DX7 sounds is that it converts the whole bank file at a time, but DX7 banks only had 32 patches max instead of the 64 that you get with the SY so it ends up being a lot of wasted space. The convertor also does just a very basic conversion and doesn't do any fancy mapping of the controls or anything. I believe it adds by default a slight bit of reverb as an effect but you can always bypass the effects on the front panel of the board.

@AK, Don Solaris - yeah I've thought about selling the 99 a few times because of the amount of space it takes up. With FM7 to cover the DX sounds and an XT to cover the wierdness it sometimes does seem kinda redundant but it feeels really nice and sounds too damn good to get rid of. I seem to keep finding some justification to keep it around even though is is practically the biggest board I have - the damn thing is just about as big as the Fusion 88-key and probably heavier!!! I also agree that to sell it for less than it is worth would be stupid - I'll get a case and leave it in the basement before I dump it for less than what it is worth. Other synths, maybe - the SY, never :)

Thanks!

bax

Guest Anonymous

Originally posted by dugman

@Musique - no problem...I'll get together what I have so far and get them on my site in the near future. As far as loading and saving stuff, the SY is kinda cumbersome to use in that respect. The SY Manager software lets you do that a little easier so I'd definitely look at that if you have Windows (I don't think there is a Mac version). I also set a Jump shortcut to the load and save pages on mine to make it less button presses from the front panel, so you might look into that.

The trick about the converted DX7 sounds is that it converts the whole bank file at a time, but DX7 banks only had 32 patches max instead of the 64 that you get with the SY so it ends up being a lot of wasted space. The convertor also does just a very basic conversion and doesn't do any fancy mapping of the controls or anything. I believe it adds by default a slight bit of reverb as an effect but you can always bypass the effects on the front panel of the board.

bax

If you do find the time, i'll certainly download the sounds. Leave post here when or if you do get around to it. I know what its like to be busy, im juggling 3 or 4 music projects right now.

Is there a way of loading SY99 FM sounds into FM7 and more importantly, visa versa?

Archived