Softsynth/softstudio tutorials?

• Members

I am planning to get my feet wet in the software world this summer. Even though I have read alot about various software products and platforms I'm not sure I could successfully put together a basic softstudio without making some major mistakes. Anyone know of any decent books or online tutorials that take the reader from start to finish in putting together a software based studio?

Thanks for any feedback!

FS

• Members

Your question is a little on the broad side. It's tough to point you toward anything without having a bit better idea of what you are looking to do.

But if you want to get starting with soft synths, probably the best way to go is with Reason. You get drum machine, sampler, soft synth and sequencer in one compact package. There is also a substantial user community, online tutorials, commercial DVD tutorials and numerous books on it.

If on the other hand, you are an extensive keyboard/MIDI user with a full studio of hardware and your recording software of choice, then an individual soft synth might suit you better.

• Members

1. Buy the most powerful computer you can afford. Load up on RAM.

2. Go to your local music store and test out the MIDI controller keyboards. M-Audio, Novation, CME, etc. Get one with as many knobs as possible. While your there, check out the various sequencer applications and choose your favorite.

3. Visit the KVRaudio website and do a plug-in search, filtering on your computer platform/OS. Downoad as many demo versions as you can and play with them. Buy a bunch.

What else do you want to know? Be specific. :wave:

• Members

Thanks for your responses. I should have been more specific to start with. First off, I really consider myself to be a hardware guy and this foray into the soft realm is just an experiment. Not looking to break the bank on it but maybe willing to part with about 1-2K for the experience. Who knows, maybe I'll convert to software or some sort of hybrid situation. For now though the hardware and software setups will be completely separate. They will even be on different floors of the house. For the software setup I am going to use the computer I already have (Dell Dimension, 3.4MH, 1 gB RAM, 2 drives 80 and 250 gB, 7200rpm). The controller keyboard I will decide on after trying out a few more. I am leaning toward Novation ReMote sl either 49 or 61 keys but am going to look again at m-audio and Korg options. One big question in the controller area is firewire vs USB - any thoughts? Basic software package is likely to be Reason but I will download a bunch of demos and try them out. The area where I am least confident has to do with audio and midi I/O. I guess as long as this setup involves no hardware or mics I shouldn't need any special interface for input but I'm not sure that my sound card (SoundBlaster Audigy) is up to the task for output (is it?)

One thing I would like to do is get hold of a decent book on the whole subject of soft studios. Any recommendations?

FS

• Members

If you do go with Reason, there are several good books out on it. Additionally, it has it's own sequencer, so you don't have to get a second piece of software such as Cakewalk.

If you only want to work with the synths, and don't need to record audio for vocals or guitar, then the controllers you are looking at already have a USB interface, which would be all you need for input.

Your SB would certainly work, but unless you have ASIO drivers for it (I think newer generation cards do have ASIO), you may have latency problems. If you are only going for something basic, I have a Tascam US-122. It's a USB audio/MIDI interface, and runs about $200. You can get music studio type audio interfaces for about $100 on up. To top it off, the US-122 includes Cubase LE, so you have a decent starting audio recorder at no additional charge.

Archived