Transistors for fuzzface?

• Members

So I'm getting a Dallas Arbiter (I love how they look and have always wanted one) and I plan to switch out the transistors... I've heard many and mixed opinions on which transistors are best for the vintage Hendrix-y fuzz sound.

Anyone know the best ones which can be purchased from Mouser? I'm not interested in rare or hard to find ones.

Also, are there any other mods that should be done to the DA Fuzzfaces to make them sound good?

• Members
Originally posted by 88mm

SmallBearelectrics.com

They got the goods!

Yeah, I know about them. They have certain fuzzface transistors, but I've heard many opinions about which ones I should use.

So I was asking to explore my options.

I know about Small Bear :) I've built their trem pedal..

• Members

At the risk of throwing a wet blanket over your plans, I'd suggest not modding a Dallas Arbiter (for fear of losing value or outright {censored}ing it up), and building one from scratch instead. They are very simple circuits, and very well documented online via several sources.

• Members

Originally posted by shecky

At the risk of throwing a wet blanket over your plans, I'd suggest not modding a Dallas Arbiter (for fear of losing value or outright {censored}ing it up), and building one from scratch instead. They are very simple circuits, and very well documented online via several sources.

I don't care about losing value, since I won't be selling it.. and I doubt I'd {censored} it up. I've built a few pedals, modded many more, and wired several guitars... no problems.

Like I said... I like how they look and have always wanted one.

Archived