What are some other great instrumental bands like Explosions in the Sky??

StrangeDay

• Members

Guys, my new favorite song is "13 Angels standing guard 'round the side of your bed" by A Silver Mount Zion.

Awe man, that is one beautiful sadly devastating piece of work. Definitely one of the most miserable songs I have ever heard...I love the violins, and the way all of those strange noises blend in together. Perfect for that darkest scene in a movie where a loved one is lost. It almost hurts to listen to it, while imagining that, but I cannot stop...so intriguing!!

• Members

Originally posted by StrangeDay

Guys, my new favorite song is "13 Angels standing guard 'round the side of your bed" by A Silver Mount Zion.

Awe man, that is one beautiful sadly devastating piece of work. Definitely one of the most miserable songs I have ever heard...I love the violins, and the way all of those strange noises blend in together. Perfect for that darkest scene in a movie where a loved one is lost. It almost hurts to listen to it, while imagining that, but I cannot stop...so intriguing!!

oh that's a good one!

but definitely check out more GODSPEED!YBE. same people as Silver Mt.Zion for the most part. their 1st EP, which you mention, isn't as captivating as later stuff. check out UXO. it's unbelievably good.

also check out MONO, a japanese band, esp the latest album WALKING CLOUD AND DEEP RED SKY--very much like Explosions and Silver MT. Zion.

SAXON SHORE is good stuff too--more mellow.

and, for something a little different, check out SINKING OF THE TITANIC by GAVIN BRYARS. he's a post-minimalist composer and TITANIC sounds like it must be an important influence on GYBE and Zion.

• Members
Originally posted by superpoo

sigur ros isnt completely instrumental, but theyre really damn good

IMO this is their best song, which also happens to be the best song i have ever heard and i touch myself while listening to it
:o
-

http://files.sigur-ros.co.uk/mp3/sigur_ros-staralfur.mp3

you can download a bunch of songs from

http://www.sigur-ros.co.uk/media/index.html

my favorite song by them... holy {censored}.

• Members

Godspeed You! Black Emperor is kinda similar. Also, when I saw Team Sleep they were touring with a band by the name of Scene Index, they were pretty cool. if you're looking to stray from ambient music a wee bit, check out hella (Hold Your Horse Is, specifically), upsilon acrux, Ahleuchatistas, Don Caballero, Joules, Battles...All that stuff is freakin sweet too, check em ALL out.

Archived