To help a dying Zoom 9002

Li Shenron

• Members

Ok I had this little pet for at about 10 years now...

It's nearly dead, and it's doing so in a very scary and disturbing way.

After some time (could be minutes on bad days, could be an hour on good days), the output sound gradually degrades into something bad, more and more like a growl until it completely vanishes and is replaced by heavy bass noise. If I try to touch the input wire, or remove/replug it, sometimes I get the normal sound back but often I only get some loud "little shocks" like static discharges. Turning off/on the Zoom doesn't help usually.

The worst thing is that this is sometimes accompanied by a chemical-like stench for a few seconds! Not burning smell, and nothing liquid is coming out of the device.

If I keep playing, after some times (10-20mins) the sound usually comes back.

What the hell could this be? :confused:

The Zoom doesn't have its battery anymore, because it died years ago, and I've been using it only with the power supply.

• Members

Originally posted by Li Shenron

the output sound gradually degrades into something bad, more and more like a growl until it completely vanishes and is replaced by heavy bass noise.

Perfect - you now have a unit for playing Nu-Metal.

Sell it on E-bay as needing repair and buy a different one on E-bay.

• Members

Originally posted by Marcus Dahl

I'd check your power supply and electolytic capacitors. I'm not familiar with those units, but that's what I'd check. With it unpluged.

I can check the power supply at work.

But how do I check the capacitors? I guess you mean the capacitors inside the device... what should I check?

btw... your name seems familiar to me but I cannot recall...

• Members

Originally posted by Li Shenron

I can check the power supply at work.

But how do I check the capacitors? I guess you mean the capacitors inside the device... what should I check?

btw... your name seems familiar to me but I cannot recall...

From you descripton - You said after a while you smell a chemical like smell.

Your electrolytics will be round and cylinder shaped. One side will have minus signs like ----. Check for burns, and fluid leakage, Also check and make sure your solder joints are not lose either. While you are at it you can check your transistors.

click my sig. it may jog your memory...;)

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I just repaired mine, it had bad caps in the powersupply section. They are really little caps and can be tricky to replace if you dont have the right tools. The same value caps for the output need replaced if your having sound output problems. Here is a link to some images and what to fix.

Zoom 9002 repair

Here are some better images

better images

Mines been broke for about 6 months i finaly sent the guy $13. for the parts, well worth it i missed this little thing.

Archived