HCEF Book Club, report in

jcn37203

• Members
Originally posted by DICKTRON

I think Cooper raised some interesting and provocative points, especially in light of recent events (post-Patriot Act especially). He brought together some interesting conspiracy angles, although some of the Illuminati stuff is a little far fetched and right wing paranoid. He did later renounce the MJ-12 stuff as fakes too.

In the end, I think his paranoia got him....

Maybe ... but being hounded by spooks on a regular basis will do that to you, particularly when they ran you and your wife off a canyon road hoping you would blow up. I think there are lives people live that are beyond the scope of the average joe to comprehend, just cause he was paranoid doesn't mean he wasn't right. :)

I've always seen the MJ-12 stuff as classic dis-info ... bits could well have been true but the point is to keep you guessing instead of asking the important questions ... why?

Were you not inspired by his taking the IRS to court and they freaked because he was right and they had no case? I think he was a great man personally who was a product of the Intel invironment. Look what happens to normal soldiers who go against the establishment of the U.S Military ... they are turned into wrecks ... now add to that the fact that you were once a high ranking Intelligence Officer and you've gone off the reservation and become a target of that same Government but at a much more clandestine level.

I think people easily blow off things they can't understand or don't want to. Spooks are out there in every country and every government and if you get on their bad side they can make your life a living hell. Have your forgtten about the chapter on Mount Weather and the Secret Government? I read that in the early 90's and then saw Bush on Meet the Press anounce the activation of the Secret Government openly! I don't think many Americans fully comprehend what that means. 95% of the bills passed by your congress are never read.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Originally posted by TIKIROCKER

Maybe ... but being hounded by spooks on a regular basis will do that to you, particularly when they ran you and your wife off a canyon road hoping you would blow up. I think there are lives peoiple live that are beyond the scope of the average joe to comprehend, just cause he was paranoid doesn't mean he wasn't right.
:)

I've always seen the MJ-12 stuf as classic dis-info ... bits could well have been true but the point it to keep you guessing instead of asking the important questions ... why?

Were you not inspired by his taking the IRS to court and they freaked because he was right and they had no case? I think he was a great man personally who was a product of the Intel invironment. Look what happens to normal soldiers who go against the establishment of the U.S Military ... they are turned into wrecks ... now add to that the fact that you were once a high ranking Intelligence Officer and you've gone off the reservation and become a target of that same Government but at a much more clandestine level.

I think people easily blow off things they can't understand or don't want to. Spooks are out there in every country and every government and if you get on their bad side they can make your life a living hell.

No argument here.

Along the same lines, check out Project Beta, by Greg Bishop. Basically its the story of Paul Bennewitz, a UFO researcher, who was fed so much disinformation that he eventually went insane.

• Members

Originally posted by DICKTRON

No argument here.

Along the same lines, check out
Project Beta
, by Greg Bishop. Basically its the story of Paul Bennewitz, a UFO researcher, who was fed so much disinformation that he eventually went insane.

Sure will, I've got a a shelf set aside for books of this nature ... Have your forgtten about the chapter on Mount Weather and the Secret Government? I read that in the early 90's and then saw Bush on Meet the Press anounce the activation of the Secret Government openly! I don't think many Americans fully comprehend what that means. 95% of the bills passed by your congress are never read.

It's good for me to be speaking to an American who has read the book too. I was always curious to know what somebody actually living in the U.S might think about all that having read it and then knowing what Cooper predicted based on the intelligence and then to see what follwed with 911 ... as the Chinese say, may you live in interesting times. I think we surely do.

• Members

WHAT IN THE HELL?!?!?? It may not have occurred to you guys but I don't actually have to tell you about every page that I'm reading of every single book I read!!! Do you want to know when I'm taking a {censored} next?!?! :mad:

...yes, I'm still reading Pattern Recognition by William Gibson...I put it down for a bit, but it was the book I was reading during the last book club check in. The shame you bring upon me is enormous. :o

• Members
Originally posted by Thelonius

...yes, I'm still reading Pattern Recognition by William Gibson...I put it down for a bit, but it was the book I was reading during the last book club check in. The shame you bring upon me is enormous.
:o

Dude, I started and stopped three different books since the last check in. THis was the first book I've actually finished in a few months now.

• Members

Originally posted by jcn37203

Dude, I started and stopped three different books since the last check in. THis was the first book I've actually finished in a few months now.

The sad part is I really love this book. One of the best modern books I remember reading. I'm going to snatch up some more of his stuff as soon as I'm done.

BTW...my wife read my American Gods. Now she's sifting through my books again. LOL!

Right now I'm kinda looking for some rather engaging books on the topics of military technology/weaponry and its history.

So any reccomendations are welcome.

• Members

Originally posted by sdre

i'm reading on some running book now. how to get the best outa runnig or something.

not a usual read.

otherwise i'm a moorcock fan.

I was looking at some running books the other day.

Main problem I had was a lot of them had about 75% dealing with nutritional information, which I'm already probably already as informed as the author is to begin with, or else hundreds of pages of "fill in jounals" I'm assuming first publications of these were made before everyone knew how to use Excel. LOL!

So I thumbed through a couple and was able to pick up some pretty good tips. I'm going to run in the morning and see if they do me any good.

• Members
Originally posted by jcn37203

Man, Kestral is going to have a party with this one.

meh?

Thelonius:

cool. very cool. i'm doing around 4-5miles everyday now. its pretty good. i did what this book advised me. jeff galloway or something, he wrote "running tips" or somethign like that. i don't have the book with me now.

walk 1 mile for every 3 miles you do. walking is always dissed by runners (including myself). walking means cheating, means that you can't go on running and that ya winded. not true. and i totally agree with the author. walking does help to double your mileage. very very good advice.

as for nurition, yeah, i just eat what i can get my hands on. usually its sandwiches, noodles, rice, diet coke, water, milk.... nothing too oily. i can't stay off supper though, which is pretty bad i feel.

share your running tips if you have any ;) i'm looking to invest a pair of asics running shoes as well.

• Members

meh?

Thelonius:

cool. very cool. i'm doing around 4-5miles everyday now. its pretty good. i did what this book advised me. jeff galloway or something, he wrote "running tips" or somethign like that. i don't have the book with me now.

walk 1 mile for every 3 miles you do. walking is always dissed by runners (including myself). walking means cheating, means that you can't go on running and that ya winded. not true. and i totally agree with the author. walking does help to double your mileage. very very good advice.

as for nurition, yeah, i just eat what i can get my hands on. usually its sandwiches, noodles, rice, diet coke, water, milk.... nothing too oily. i can't stay off supper though, which is pretty bad i feel.

share your running tips if you have any
;)
i'm looking to invest a pair of asics running shoes as well.

I'm the last person to offer advice on running, LOL! I'm trying to figure out how to do it myself. I really want to. I'm a heavy guy though it takes a good deal out of me, there's no way I could run 3 miles. I'm trying to build up though. Good to hear about walking because that's a large portion of my running unfortunately.

It's become bigger lately because I don't care for running superslow at a pace that will allow me to run the entire way. I'd rather run at a pace comfy for me (which causes me to go too fast because I'm real tall) but I have to walk more, I can't keep that pace up. I always feel like {censored} about it though, so that may be helpful info for me to read.

• Members

Originally posted by ChitownTerror

What are people's thoughts on Stephenson? I loved Snow Crash, but I'm having a hard time getting into the Baroque cycle novels. Is
Cryptonomicon
worth checking out?

Yes, Crypto is a great book.

The baroque thing seems weird, I never got in to it.

• Members
Originally posted by Thelonius

I'm the last person to offer advice on running, LOL! I'm trying to figure out how to do it myself. I really want to. I'm a heavy guy though it takes a good deal out of me, there's no way I could run 3 miles. I'm trying to build up though. Good to hear about walking because that's a large portion of my running unfortunately.

It's become bigger lately because I don't care for running superslow at a pace that will allow me to run the entire way. I'd rather run at a pace comfy for me (which causes me to go too fast because I'm real tall) but I have to walk more, I can't keep that pace up. I always feel like {censored} about it though, so that may be helpful info for me to read.

just keep going. btw dont look at the watch and say "i'm gonna do a better timing today" run with the clock. its much easier that way as well.

my cousin does X country running a couple of years back. his best advice was "run the way that you are comfortable"

do stuff like breathing through your mouth, or pace yourself, or swing your elbows out and run on the ball of your feet, not flat. stuff like that... just be natural.

i read in another book, that doing this kinda of runs, as in paced runs, slowly... but do a long distance. this is called base building. it keeps you going. 2-4 weeks time, you will realise that you can go further. i did it, and it worked for me. take it slowly, but surely. remember to always run. i do like mon-thurs runs, friday i take a break, weekends i do soccer. so friday's like my rest day.

i think this can only get better. its like online running fellowship. lemme know how you're doing and we can encourage each other. ;)

• Members

cool. very cool. i'm doing around 4-5miles everyday now. i

walk 1 mile for every 3 miles you do. walking is always dissed by runners (including myself)

I run 4 miles when I go but I run in allot of multi terrain, so that means hills and allot of up and down so it's quite taxing by comparison to running flat surfaces. I don't run everyday but usually aim for about 3-4 times a week as it takes too much out of me to do more along with my free weight training program. What many people don't realize is that rest days are vitally important. I keep up a fairly decent jog when I run, not sprinting as I want my heart rate to be in the fat burning zone and not the muscle eating zone where allot of faster running exists. You just have to build up and find your rhythmn ... I am a big proponent of running 6 minutes and then rest walking for 1 minute and then running 6 minutes again. It's worked wonders for me and I've researched and followed my own program that I've been tailoring for myself specifically for about 5 years now.

• Members

I don't know if any of you guys would have heard of this book. I know I never had before, but right now I'm reading Future Shock by Alvin Toffler. Guess I'm another person who got hit by some nonfiction. If I actually finish this one, I'll report back in. :D

I've also been reading some poetry. I found the Figured Wheel by Robert Pinsky on my bookshelf. I haven't opened that in awhile. Some really great poetry in there.

• Members
Originally posted by TIKIROCKER

I run 4 miles when I go but I run in allot of multi terrain, so that means hills and allot of up and down so it's quite taxing by comparison to running flat surfaces. I don't run everyday but usually aim for about 3-4 times a week as it takes too much out of me to do more along with my free weight training program. What many people don't realize is that rest days are vitally important. I keep up a fairly decent jog when I run, not sprinting as I want my heart rate to be in the fat burning zone and not the muscle eating zone where allot of faster running exists. You just have to build up and find your rhythmn ... I am a big proponent of running 6 minutes and then rest walking for 1 minute and then running 6 minutes again. It's worked wonders for me and I've researched and followed my own program that I've been tailoring for myself specifically for about 5 years now.

i hate doing hills/slopes. but there's a sense of achievement once ya over it. sounds good tiki, keep it up ;)

• Members

Cryptonomicon is one of those books I wish I could forget just so I could read it again. I'll read it again in a year or so. I'm a fast reader but that {censored}er was like 1600 pages. Still took me a month. I haven't been able to crack more than 300 pages of Quicksilver. It's so {censored}ing slow. Please someone tell me that it'll get more interesting soon.

What are people's thoughts on Stephenson? I loved Snow Crash, but I'm having a hard time getting into the Baroque cycle novels. Is
Cryptonomicon
worth checking out?

• Members

Cryptonomicon
worth checking out?

I tried to read Snow Crash, but couldn't ever really get into it. It seemed like it might be kewl, but it takes me so damn long to read anything anymore, and it seemed about the time that it was my interest was picking up, reading time was over, and the next time, the same suspense wasn't lingering. Maybe I should give it another shot before I start reading a new book. Well I've hit a couple of chapters off of mynew one, but really, not that much.

• Members

Originally posted by capnbringdown

I tried to read Snow Crash, but couldn't ever really get into it. It seemed like it might be kewl, but it takes me so damn long to read anything anymore, and it seemed about the time that it was my interest was picking up, reading time was over, and the next time, the same suspense wasn't lingering. Maybe I should give it another shot before I start reading a new book. Well I've hit a couple of chapters off of mynew one, but really, not that much.

The thing to keep in mind w/ Snow Crash is that it basically invented the genre of cyber punk. So when compared with more contemporary examples it might seem dull or something, but that's because it was the first of it's kind. Everythign after that was building from it.

EDIT: Oops, I was thinking about Neuromancer. Nevermind, sorry.

Snow Crash was the first instance of the term "cyber space"

Archived