Screw the search function. Bring back the clowns.

jcn37203

• Members

Originally posted by jcn37203

Seriously.

Get over it.

You prefer the forum running dog slow?

I definitely don't prefer the forum being slow, but the forum being fast is no good to me if half of this places utility has been thrown out the window. No matter how fast it is, having to manually go through hundreds of post to find information on a certain topic will be slower than searching for it on a backed up forum. Just my .02 cents.

• Members

Originally posted by tommyn

I definitely don't prefer the forum being slow, but the forum being fast is no good to me if half of this places utility has been thrown out the window. No matter how fast it is having to manually go through hundreds of post to find information on a certain topic will be slower than searching for it on a backe dup forum. Just my .02 cents.

It's not like the search is gone forever. It will be back.

I just think of it from the perspective of the guys who run the site. As someone who has run a few sites before, I can tell you there is nothing more annoying than a bunch of people who use a site you provide for free and make all these demands and gripes because it doesn't perform well enough, then when you put more money/time/resources in to improving it for them, they yell and gripe about the inconvenience.

If I were paying for the membership, yeah. I'd expect better service. But it's free, so I take whats there and make due.

• Members

I just think of it from the perspective of the guys who run the site. As someone who has run a few sites before, I can tell you there is nothing more annoying than a bunch of people who use a site you provide for free and make all these demands and gripes because it doesn't perform well enough, then when you put more money/time/resources in to improving it for them, they yell and gripe about the inconvenience.

If I were paying for the membership, yeah. I'd expect better service. But it's free, so I take whats there and make due.

I see what your saying, and I do continually forget that most people are saying this is only temporary. I just hope that is how it really turns out.

• Members

and where is that info? I never heard it was temp? Even tho you got a point, keeping the users informed isn't too much to ask for. Sure it's a "free" forum but there are lots of ads being paid for and if we didn't come here those ad spots wouldn't be worth a dime. It's a trade off actually.

• Members
Originally posted by pedalpat

i look at it like this - you get what you paid for.

i have paid nothing for using this forum, so who am i to complain about anything?

you do but you dont know it. Companies pay for the ads we see and probably go to for merch. With out us here no one would pay for the ads and this place would not exist

• Members

Originally posted by fuzzbox

you do but you dont know it. Companies pay for the ads we see and probably go to for merch. With out us here no one would pay for the ads and this place would not exist

So you're saying if we weren't here, this place wouldn't exist.

But does that even matter?

Or are you saying you'd be pissed if you were here and the forum wasnt?

Look, the forum is free. You aren't paying anything, you aren't entitled to any level of service. You aren't entitled to a search function, and if they shut the site down tomorrow, you wouldn't be owed anything in compensation.

The search function will come back when and if the servers are upgraded to the point where they can handle the load.

Given the choice of some functionality without a search function, or no functionality with it, the choice is simple.

• Members

So you're saying if we weren't here, this place wouldn't exist.

But does that even matter?

Or are you saying you'd be pissed if you were here and the forum wasnt?

Look, the forum is free. You aren't paying anything, you aren't entitled to any level of service. You aren't entitled to a search function, and if they shut the site down tomorrow, you wouldn't be owed anything in compensation.

The search function will come back when and if the servers are upgraded to the point where they can handle the load.

Given the choice of some functionality without a search function, or no functionality with it, the choice is simple.

WHY CAN YOU NOT SEE THE MAN IS TRYING TO BRING US DOWN??! HE'S TRYING TO SEPARATE US FROM WITHIN...MAAAAAN!! :mad:

• 1 year later...
  • Members

I'm sure when MF bought this site they thought it was worth something (or they wouldn't have paid good money for it). So, what is the value of this site that doesn't sell anything to the users of the forum? I'm sure there are advertising revenue streams but the main value (I'm guessing) is ready access to a bunch of geeks who spend way more than average on their geek-stuff. Alternatively, they could have started a new site ahd hoped to attract the geeks. But they perceived that a well-developed , committed body of geeks was worth something. I'm sure that the infrastructure for the site had some value but it can be duplicated pretty easily as core software is generally available.

This is a long way to say that the body of users had value to them. The users are also "invested" in the site by spending time here and developing a community. It seems like it doesn't make much sense to piss off the users for which you paid a premium to access. By eliminataing (even temporarily) the search function you are reducing the utility of the site, causing many duplicate postings, and thereby devaluing the site.

It seems like they could place addtional restrictions on searching and add some additional servers and make it work. It worked for a long time before.

My 2 cents . . .

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

• Members
Originally posted by Fast Frets

It seems like they could place addtional restrictions on searching and add some additional servers and make it work. It worked for a long time before.

HAHAHAHA!!! Add servers!!!! HAHAHA! Yeah right. Like they would pay for something like that on a free sight. :D :D :D

Honestly the value of this site is that it fuels gear purchases, and they sell gear. Notice how every time the site is down there's a nice convenient link to MF? I'm also sure big companies pay good money to advertise on the site in the hopes the crowds here will buy more stuff.

But yeah...they're not doing themselves any favors by pissing off the users...but maybe thats what they want to do. Drive off all the veterans that probably don't spend too much at MF and are more likely to suggest pedals that they don't even sell. In true GC/MF fashion they're gunning for the noobs not people in the know.

• Members
Originally posted by comfortablynumb

Don't sit there and tell me this site is free. I've paid thousands because of this stupid place.
:D

Anyway.. the forum was never slower for me when we had the search. I miss it, but it doesn't bother me too much. I'm just glad this place is getting updated.

hahahah!
no {censored} - this place put the dent in my finances. SOMEONE is getting this money who's related to this site.
:D :D

• Members

I really wish the the search function would come back. I check in sometimes once in two or three days, and since this board moves so fast, I can totally miss stuff that I woudn't miss if there was a search.

And I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but this site isn't totally free in the sense that the amount of traffic is directly related to how much is charged for the ad banners at the top of the screen. So there is some incentive to keep it a place that people want to visit and post in. I don't know - maybe it's a drop in the bucket.. someone who knows more can set me straight.

If the search slows the thing down to a snail's pace, then it's better not to have the search. But I sure do miss it.

Archived