Robin Guthrie's use of effects

Li Shenron

• Members

Alright I'm going to quote a band that may give nightmares to some of the rockers in this forum... :D

What do you think of the near-absurd overuse of reverb, chorus, flanger and similar effects by the guitarist in the 80's scottish band Cocteau Twins? It's possibly the most effect-loaded guitar I have ever heard (except that is it rarely _distorted_). The band had only 1 guitar, 1 bass, drums and voice, but those effects seriously filled the whole "sound spectrum" enough to drive the band's sound up.

I like it :p

• Members
Originally posted by Li Shenron

Alright I'm going to quote a band that may give nightmares to some of the rockers in this forum...
:D

What do you think of the near-absurd overuse of reverb, chorus, flanger and similar effects by the guitarist in the 80's scottish band Cocteau Twins? It's possibly the most effect-loaded guitar I have ever heard (except that is it rarely _distorted_). The band had only 1 guitar, 1 bass, drums and voice, but those effects seriously filled the whole "sound spectrum" enough to drive the band's sound up.

I like it
:p

He also used a {censored}load of overdubs.

I think he went overboard, but I'd rather listen to the Cocteau Twins than the same tired blues licks ten million times over. They created a pretty unique sound. I had some friends who were huge fans. I personally couldn't tolerate the vocals for more than a few songs.

• Members

Originally posted by BIGD

He also used a {censored}load of overdubs.

But what about live? I heard some gig bootlegs and it seemed pretty similar sound-wise. Unless they overdubbed the tape even in the case, which isn't impossible...

• Members

But what about live? I heard some gig bootlegs and it seemed pretty similar sound-wise. Unless they overdubbed the tape even in the case, which isn't impossible...

well didnt they use 3 or 4 guitarists for a few tours...i seem to remember reading it in an interview with robin

• Members

I think they had at least 1 other guitarist and maybe some tapes.

His tone definitely reaked of "tone suck", but....that was his sound. Chorus and flanging and delay up the wazoo.

Archived