DD-20 owners - a couple questions...

teardrop

• Members

I think I might just get rid of my DD-5 and pull the trigger on a DD-20, since it seems to do what the DD-5 does and so much more, but I have a couple questions...

1) is there a 'hold' function on the DD-20 like there is on the DD-5 and DD-3? or would I just be using the looper for that sort of effect?

2) how easy is it to change through all the presets on the fly? this is probably the one area where the DL-4 is better since it has switches for each preset... I've never really used a twin boss pedal before, so fill me in on how it functions exactly when it comes to switiching presets.

thanks.

• Members

The right footpedal switches through presets, goes from manual to one of the 4 presets and back again. You have to press a little button to switch the preset that you go back and forth with.

Now while using the looper you can switch over and use one preset, but after you pick one you can't change the mode or pick another preset while the looper is going or the loop stops.

So it's useful to have another delay or better yet another looper to free up your dd20 for changing and using delay in the loops that you make.

The switching is also customizable, there's a bunch of different ways you can go about how the presets work if you look through the manual.

• Members

Sorry. I don't know what a hold function is. With the DD-20 you can loop two ways; use the sound on sound mode, or better yet set the delay to 23 sec and use a non-latching control pedal to start and stop the loop. This way you can have TWO parallel loops. Nobody gets this and i can't seem to explain it so it's understandable but it definitley works and is very cool.

Very easy to change presets on the fly, just stomp the right pedal.

As a qualifier i should say that i've had/played quite a few delays from tape units to digital and the first delay that really knocked me out with it's sound quality was the dd-20.

• Members

Originally posted by Elliott Damage

tons.

word.

Its got a pretty nice modulated delay on it which I think would fit right in that type of music.

I actually use that as my chorus, I set the delay to 18 ms for some depth and adjust the feedback pretty low and the level pretty high. Sounds great.

• Members

Originally posted by mugglesport

word.

Its got a pretty nice modulated delay on it which I think would fit right in that type of music.

I actually use that as my chorus, I set the delay to 18 ms for some depth and adjust the feedback pretty low and the level pretty high. Sounds great.

yep, lots of awsome settings that go beyond typical delay. its my favorite delay pedal ever overall. i wouldn't ever sell it. i sold my analog delay after i was able to match the sound perfectly with the DD-20.

• Members

Originally posted by Elliott Damage

i sold my analog delay after i was able to match the sound perfectly with the DD-20.

indeed. i've done the a/b test w/ my fx-90 and the only way i know which is the fx-90 is the dark dirt that it has compared to a DM2, etc.

DL4-lovers don't seem to notice that the analog settings sound pretty digital. i guess they're too busy getting stoned and playing one note and tweaking the knobs for hours.

Archived