Boss DR-880 Specifics

• Members

Im looking at buying this drum machine to practice along with... Only thing is I play Metallica/godsmack/ etc type music. And yeah along with some country with my acoustic...

Ok so i know i can get the drum beats right. But how is the bass lines. I mean do I have to plug into the machine and play/record my bass line, or do I program it to change notes....

how am I going to make the bass lines work on sounds that change notes all the time and fairly fast.

• Members

You have to program you bass lines, but it's pretty easy. You can step record them or record them in real-time. The velocity pads on the machine double as bass notes (they are set up like the first five frets of the bass). You can also connect a midi controller and record that way. Plenty of flexibility. In fact, it's too much drum machine for my needs and I'm probably going to sell it. But all in all, it's served me well.

• Members

So would it be possibe to just plug in my guitar and record the Bass lines that I want against the drum pattern using the built in amp modeling and stuff.

I just won't to be sure that I can sit down and program in a drum pattern and bass line and play a complex song, and the bass line won't sound like the blink 182 guy was playing it... just kidding, ya'll know whay i mean.

• Members

You can't record the bass lines with guitar (unless you have a midi setup). You can plug in a midi keyboard and record the bass lines or use the pads. If you look at picture of the DR-880, you'll see the pads are marked with notes. You can play these like you would the first five frets of a bass. It also has a variety of different bass sounds you can choose from. It really only takes a couple of minutes to get comfortable with the seup. Another nice feature of the DR-880 is it has a library of drum fills you can add to your patterns. Easy and quick.

• Members

What kind of speaker do you use. I have a Yorkville NX550P powered speaker. 550w. I could run in a 1/4in jack from the dr-880 if it allows me to do that.

Also do you have the footcontrollers that people talk about. Where and what kind is it.

• Members

It's the first five frets for all four strings. It's a four by five grid of buttons. If you look ta the unit it's the same as looking down at the first five frets of a bass guitar. Hard to explain, really easy to see when you look at the unit.

I've never used the drum machine through monitors... it's strictly a recording device for me. I can't stand trying to program drums (or anything) on a computer. I need to use a hardware device.

• 2 months later...
  • Members

hi mate,

i use the Boss DR880 for hard core programming of the drums and the bass...the only lousy thing so far is the onboard memory...it states in the manual that it has a 30,000 note capacity but it maxed out on me after i programmed 14 songs...

so i've had to get a laptop for my gigs and recover the tracks during breaks...

besides that, this machine is a legend....the singer swears that it sounds like the original drums!!...

also, it's easy to use....and the i/p and o/p jacks are more than enough for any usage......you can connect dual foot controller to the unit...i run a single pedal to start/stop the machine when i gig....

Regards,

Dave

Archived