I want a UD stomp delay but they are...

StrykeBack

• Members

Too damn expensive..going for 3 or 4 hundred on ebay? what the hell. Anybody seen any around where i can work out a deal and get one cheap. Listened to some clips people at on the holdsworth forums and they can do some awesome stuff.

Anybody had any use with this device or any clips? I'd search for it but it won't allow me to use "ud" because its not 3 letters:mad:

• Members

Originally posted by StrykeBack

Too damn expensive..going for 3 or 4 hundred on ebay? what the hell. Anybody seen any around where i can work out a deal and get one cheap. Listened to some clips people at on the holdsworth forums and they can do some awesome stuff.

Anybody had any use with this device or any clips? I'd search for it but it won't allow me to use "ud" because its not 3 letters:mad:

I have one and if i were to perform a gig, it would take the place of my flanger, chorus, reverb, delay and even tremolo. The pedal is tremendously deep and it can do some stunning tones. Just yesterday in fact i caoxed out this light reverb signal going into a saw wave up signal and then into a buncha lo fi delays and into a reverb. All done with all the 8 delay bands. The sound is very reminiscent of a UFO gliding through space.

Ive even manage to coax out a passable sample & hold (filter) tone using multiple triangle waves and huge modulation depths.

The cons of the unit seem to be the lack of interactivity. Theres just that weird presence there that i feel when operating analog gear but the UD doesnt really seem to have that feel to it. And also it cant self osciliate.

Theres a few things in the unit which ive never really bothered learning such as the LOOPING features and the Expression pedal features, thus far ive never really needed to use it.

As for the delays, they sound crisp and perfect, very digital sounding but not overly 'ping' sounding like a DD6. The filter knobs really helps in making the signal sound more natural and the modulation knobs have a huge range. Its capable of doing a lot of chorus tones, from the cheesey 80's hair metal chorus, to the dimensional sounding Holdsworth chorus to even a dark Memory Man like vibrato delay.

And this box is pretty much Holdsworth in a box, with a good mid driven overdrive into one of the lead patches, you can nail his reedy sounding tone very very easily. Legato playing does help make things more realistic.

All in all if you're a person with a good tonal imagination, this will be a perfect addition.

• Members

thanks guys for the feedback, yeah i was wondering if the delays would be too digital. I love the "warm" delay sound from my DML10 II compared to the boss dd-20 at times, though they are both good. I stumbled onto the holdsworth stuff after watching him on that new Carvin DVD and was curious if this could do crazy delays that my other boxes couldn't.

Cool site there observer. 230 not bad brand new but did you have to get an extra powersupply for over here in the states, don't suppose you could help me out with that? :D

When did these get blown out of MF wish i knew about it back then.

• Members

was curious if this could do crazy delays that my other boxes couldn't.

Theres actually a bank there just made for sound effects. You have a weird dark airy patch and another patch that sounds like the bubbles floating up in a carbonated drink and another one that sounds like a digital R2D2esque glitch, a couple of others too, all manipulating multiple delays and modulations.

Aside from self osciliating and creating distorted repeats like some of the old analog delays, this thing can do everything else other delays can do and more.

• Members

speaking of that magic stomp. the guys on the holdsworth forum were saying that you can load all the UD's presets into it and it will do exactly the same sounds? are they identical? I kinda like being able to adjust everything right there, i guess i could plug something into my computer and edit but like i said, tweaking knobs is fun :D

• Members

i got mine from a guy on the holdsworth forum - nickkellie - why not send him a pm or email him through his website (nickkellie.com) - he had several new units for sale at a great price, but i don't know if he's got any left

simeon

• Members

speaking of that magic stomp. the guys on the holdsworth forum were saying that you can load all the UD's presets into it and it will do exactly the same sounds? are they identical? I kinda like being able to adjust everything right there, i guess i could plug something into my computer and edit but like i said, tweaking knobs is fun
:D

Well thats the downside to the magic stomp though, you cant really do much on the fly editing. But for the price, thats a good way to get those UD tones going...

• Members

did you have to get an extra powersupply for over here in the states, don't suppose you could help me out with that?
:D

When did these get blown out of MF wish i knew about it back then.

It was about 18 months ago, I think.

As for the power supply, if you do get a Euro UD you could have my US power supply for what it'd cost to post it - otherwise any 1A 12VAC supply should be ok.

Archived