I want a compressor that does this...

PetersReviews

• Members

Yes! This sounds like what I was looking for! In most compressors, there is no blend knob and "all" of your signal is processed. Thanks for responding so quickly. I must have looked at just about every compressor available out there, well except for this one.

Thanks again!
Peter

Originally posted by TIKIROCKER

Not exactly sure what you mean but my Barber Tone Press is a parallel comp that has a blend function so you can blend the amount of comp you want with your dry signal ... if you are wanting both at the same time just use a splitter box to your amp I guess.

• Members

This is interesting, hearing that the Barber tone press has a blend feature, I always thought that a comp had to "see" the whole signal to work as designed? :confused: I was under the impression that this was why most people don't use them in parallel loops unless they're %100 wet? Hmm...I might have to put my Keeley in the loop of my Boogie and adjust the wetness and see what happens, theoretically this should be the same as a blend feature.

• Members

I have a barber tone press before my rectoverb. makes my coil tapped modes of my guitar sound huge and fat. i use it mainly to add a ton of sustain to certain leads.

The blend feature works by having a clean signal run right alongside a complete copy ran into the compressor, with the blend knob you then decide whether you want more of your original signal with some sustain or leveling, or a signal with more of that country squashed picking sound.

Awesome pedal

• Members

Originally posted by StrykeBack

I have a barber tone press before my rectoverb. makes my coil tapped modes of my guitar sound huge and fat. i use it mainly to add a ton of sustain to certain leads.

Awesome pedal

Awesome indeed ... Dave makes incredible gear ... just take a look at the guts some time. I use my Tone Press in the same way you are using yours, as a boost with some comp and it sounds huge. I plan on buying the Launch Pad next which is a boost but it will allow me also to match the phase on my 72 Bandmaster so I can bridge channels.

• Members

I have been considering the TonePress myself, but am put off by the sound clips. It somehow sounds funny to me, like a pig missing its snout... Yes, there's something there at the beginning, something which is missing - must be the attack. I suppose what I feel lacking is the ability to get a percussive sound usual in other compressors. People who have the TP, what do you think of the sound clips - do they do the pedal justice? Check out this clip in particular, as this is a good example of what I'm talking about - the "snout" disappears when playing fast - also, chicken pickin' is what I mostly need a comp for anyway.

• Members

um those first 2 clips sound like a bass guitar...

I mainly use the blend at 11 where its pointed more towards the original signal with sustain at 1 or 2 , like i said, i don't do anything extremely but its the subtle thigns that make it great.

Obviously its going to sound like those samples if yoru setup to play country. i believe it can do quite a bit more of a range then that.

• Members

Originally posted by RockNote

I have been considering the TonePress myself, but am put off by the
It somehow sounds funny to me, like a pig missing its snout... Yes, there's something there at the beginning, something which is missing - must be the attack. I suppose what I feel lacking is the ability to get a percussive sound usual in other compressors. People who have the TP, what do you think of the sound clips - do they do the pedal justice? Check out
in particular, as this is a good example of what I'm talking about - the "snout" disappears when playing fast - also, chicken pickin' is what I mostly need a comp for anyway.

As has been said, it's got an internal trim pot so you can adjust how much squish you like etc ... killer pedal for my taste anyway.

• Members

Originally posted by Janglin_Jack

I like the Keeley and the Maxon CP-101. For the Money the Maxon was perfect. Then I found the Barber Tone Press. I agree, I think it is the best on the market.

Jack

I only use comps for subtle subtle compression and I made the opposite progression you did..

never got to A/B em though!

• Members

Another example would be the Yamaha GEP 50. Problem is it's a digital rack unit and tends to cause ground loop or noise problems in front of an amp. Plus not "analog" sounding but mostly that's an advantage. Pretty fantastic things it can do -- for example, negative attack delay causes a delay in the audio but not the detect, so it's more like the compressor responds instantly. An odd part there is even when you mix in "dry" the dry is also delayed so you don't inadvertently get flanging.

The GEP also does lots of other effects, but being an early multieffect it doesn't do any simultaneously with compression.

• Members

I got a Barber Tone Press about two weeks ago. I will never need another compressor, it's that good. I used to have all kinds of compressors, from Boss to Keeley, but this is it. Dave Barber includes a tip sheet for some of his favourite settings. I found this extremely helpful as a starting point to find the sounds I like.
You can even use the Tone Press as a "Class A" boost pedal with no compression on, but this is not why I got it. The other compressors I've owned simply did not have the degree of flexibility that this pedal has. :cool:

• Members
Originally posted by Jimmy James 902

I got a Barber Tone Press about two weeks ago. I will never need another compressor, it's that good. I used to have all kinds of compressors, from Boss to Keeley, but this is it. Dave Barber includes a tip sheet for some of his favourite settings. I found this extremely helpful as a starting point to find the sounds I like.

You can even use the Tone Press as a "Class A" boost pedal with no compression on, but this is not why I got it. The other compressors I've owned simply did not have the degree of flexibility that this pedal has.
:cool:

Dude, you're pressuring me! I am just about to give in! Somebody help me - tell me why I don't want this pedal. :D

• Members
Originally posted by Cackalacky

This is interesting, hearing that the Barber tone press has a blend feature, I always thought that a comp had to "see" the whole signal to work as designed?

That's why you have to have a pedal that sees the whole signal for the purposes of triggering the effect, then splits it off to blend the wet and dry portions.

• Members
Originally posted by Jimmy James 902

Rocknote said: "tell me why I don't want this pedal."

Ummm,.... You're not in the market for a compressor?
:rolleyes:

Thank you, Jimmy. That helped. :) I have the CS-3. Supposedly there are vastly superior comps out there - at least, that's what we hear all the time. I'd love to check out the TP eventually.

• Members

Originally posted by GorillaLover

the CS-3 was the pedal that made me believe there was no use in having a compressor.. then i learned

Yes, like Thin Lizzy it's got a bad reputation... I don't understand why that is - other than the fact that it's not easy to use at first. Mine is pretty indispensible to me now. These are my typical settings:

Level: 12:00

Tone: 10:30

Attack: 10:30

Sustain: 10:30

I use it mainy for chicken pickin' and funky riffs, typically in combination with a wah. It doesn't do much for my dirty lead tone, but occasionally I use it for that too, as it adds softness. Although fully saturated, the lead tone then becomes airy and leightweight.

• Members

Originally posted by TIKIROCKER

1. Because it's noisy.

2. Because there are better comps out there.

Those are good reasons! I believe it's true that there are better comps out there. However, at my typical settings, it is dead quiet.

• Members

let me ask this...

Being a LP/Rectifier user, will the tone press really make a difference on my lead tone? I pretty much just want to add a little more clarity and sustain to my leads. I know the combo of gear i play is already compressed to {censored}, but could a tone press help out at all?

Archived