What would you get? Fantom X6 or Fantom XR + Novation SL61?

KJI

• Members

I really like the Fantom synths, the more I play them the more I'm assured that's what I need.

I also really like the Novation SLs, looks like quality stuff!

I've been looking to get an X6, but lately the XR + SL61 combo is looking nicer.

By going with the XR + SL61, I would lose the large LCD, built-in sequencer, and skip-back sampling. Or that's what I can think of for now. Instead I would gain compatibility/controllability with more soft synths and DAWs.

I also like the idea of taking just the rack for small gigs at church and such, where I can MIDI up some keyboards lying around.

Anyone care to talk me out of my decision? :D

Oh and by the way... I played some rhodes on an XP-30 this past sunday, and wow, something about that synth brings out the best in you. Not that it's got the best sound or anything, but I always have a lot of fun playing it. If it werent' for recording purposes, I would just get a used one...

• Members

One of the best thing IMHO about the Fantom X keyboards is all the performance bits on them.

If you throw all of that away, then the Fantom looses its edge IMHO, and the Motif ES rack start to become rather attractive, except that Ibeleive the XR keeps its sampling - unlike the ES rack.

Guess it depends which sounds set you like...

• Members

Originally posted by Khazul

One of the best thing IMHO about the Fantom X keyboards is all the performance bits on them.

Well, I guess you're right.

I was hoping that with the SL61 I could regain most of the control functions that I lose, but it may always lack something that the X6 had.

What I really liked on the X6 was the skip-back sampling, that I could capture some random idea that sort of happens instantaneously. But would I really miss it?...

• Members

Not if you're a good programmer!

That's a tough one. I've heard the X6's interface is really intuitive. But I like the SL so much. You could configure the SL to the XR. Like you, I'm not sure what kind of interfacing options you would loose. I think I would rather have the X6 though for the reason that the XR might be hard to get into. Maybe there is someone on a egroups page that has already made a template for the same control with a SL. Should ask around more.

• Members

Originally posted by stikygum

Not if you're a good programmer!

That's a tough one. I've heard the X6's interface is really intuitive. But I like the SL so much. You could configure the SL to the XR. Like you, I'm not sure what kind of interfacing options you would loose. I think I would rather have the X6 though for the reason that the XR might be hard to get into. Maybe there is someone on a egroups page that has already made a template for the same control with a SL. Should ask around more.

With the right templates, perhaps controlling with an SL could be better than the controls on the X6? There's some truths in that :)

I was doing some thinking, and perhaps the best thing I can do is get the X6 and an SL Zero, and have the best of both worlds! :thu: (of course, that would also be the most EXPENSIVE option :freak: )

• Members

I have to say i *really* like my X6. Ive thought about cutting it down to an XR and using my G2 (soon to upgrade to G2x for the extra keys/controllers) but I cant bring myself to give up that key action. I know its subjective, but I love the key feel of my X6 (and the drum pads are pretty darn good too.

• Members

Might want to check out the Fantom XA + the Novation if you don't mind having two boards. That way you get your skip-back sampling and sequencing.

Fantom XA - $1369

Fantom XR - $1395

Personally, I don't like the Fantom X6 screen and its 1990 reminiscient color depth. Hey look its a string patch and I get reminded of that with a pixellated 16-color violin!

• Members

I really thought the color screen was just a gimmick too...but honestly - it helps ALOT. particularly when your dealing with the mixer settings and sample editing.

Also, I thought Skip-back sampling was not available on the XA. I may be wrong though.

• Members

Originally posted by Tony Scharf

I have to say i *really* like my X6. Ive thought about cutting it down to an XR and using my G2 (soon to upgrade to G2x for the extra keys/controllers) but I cant bring myself to give up that key action. I know its subjective, but I love the key feel of my X6 (and the drum pads are pretty darn good too.

The only reason I would switch would be space issue, I have the older 76-key version but alll in all I still love it: excellent key action, immediate interface with big screen, joystick (i.e. nice to control my Monomachine SFX-60). This being said, if I were gigging I'd seriously consider the rack/controller option, the 76 is quite a bulky thing to move...

• Members

"Many of the most popular features from the flagship Fantom-X line have been ported to the Fantom-Xa, including 128-voice polyphony, major memory expansion, high-resolution built-in sequencing, realtime audio time-stretching, COSM

• Members

Skip the Xa ... it's a cut-down machine ... crappy key action, no aftertouch, trigger buttons instead of the great pads, tiny screen, crapy piano, lesser build quality, one SRX expansion vs. 4, no audio tracks, no digital in/out, and the list continues ...

Go with your instinct and get the X6 and the Novation ...

But do you need them both at the same time?

The X6 is quite a machine to get your head around.

• Members

+1 on the XP-30

I had my most inspiration when playing with that board. I regret getting rid of mine on ebay :(

A bank of buttons went out and they told me it would cost $300 to fix. That coupled with a broken B key made me put er down. Early lessons learned = never leave synthesizer in car overnight in the dead of winter & gigbags suck for protection.

• Members

Thanks for the inputs everyone! :D

If I got the X6, I wouldn't get the RemoteSL anytime soon and just make the most of the X6.

Plus, my plans to move to Logic would be on hold indefinitely (presumabably after I can pay off the X6 :freak: ), and I would probably consider buying a RemoteSL ZERO to go with the Logic softsynths, etc.

So I guess the general concensus is, unless you have a specific need to get a rack instead of a synth(which I really don't, because I need a 61 note controller anyways), go with the X6.

The X6 isn't too big to carry around to gigs, is it? :confused:

Archived