Bob Moog in Wall Street Journal

Fast Frets

• Members

There was a nice writeup about Bob Moog's contributions to music in today's Wall Street Journal. It documented his life, education, and contributions. It noted that he invented the only major new instrument other than electric guitar since the sax was invented in 1840.

A good read . . .

• Members

Originally posted by Fast Frets

It noted that he invented the only major new instrument other than electric guitar since the sax was invented in 1840.

That statement is easily refutable. The theremin is regarded as one of the few new musical instruments in the past century. Moog was highly influenced by the theremin. Most don't consider synths as a new instrument since it is designed to mimic other instruments/sounds.

Going to try and find that article tomorrow.

• Members

Originally posted by innobidova

i thought leon theremin invented the theremin:confused:

Bob Moog did not invent the theremin (they were around in the 1920s and 1930s). But I don't think that's what they were refering to. I'm guessing (as I haven't yet read the article) that they were referring to his modular synths/keyboards. Synths in general. He certainly advanced the technology of synthesizers.

• Members

Originally posted by Lefty Geek

That statement is easily refutable. The theremin is regarded as one of the few new musical instruments in the past century. Moog was highly influenced by the theremin. Most don't consider synths as a new instrument since it is designed to mimic other instruments/sounds.

Going to try and find that article tomorrow.

the theremin is definitely not a major musical instrument invention. It's rarely used and most people don't even know what it is.

Secondly, the synthesizer wasn't invented to mimic other instruments, it was invented as something to create totally new sounds...in the beginning not even musical sounds.

• Members

Originally posted by Jebus0000

the theremin is definitely not a major musical instrument invention. It's rarely used and most people don't even know what it is.

Secondly, the synthesizer wasn't invented to mimic other instruments, it was invented as something to create totally new sounds...in the beginning not even musical sounds.

+1

• Members
Originally posted by Jebus0000

+1 and what he said ;)

Archived