Slow OASYS Sales?

midi

• Members

Was in Rainbow Music in Tucson today and demoed the Korg OASYS 88-note keyboard and man was it slow, no traffic at all.(Summers in AZ are really slow business wise anyways). The sales guy I know was bitching about not selling any keyboards, I asked how many OASYS's have sold and he said none. They have one demo unit and one 88 key version in the box, but said they are not going to order any more.

Dont know if its due to software or not but he mentioned they were thinking of discontinuing hardware, that internet sales have really cut into their business. Has anyone else been tracking OASYS sales? At the $8K+ price I think a lot of people aren't buying.

Also some people on the Web have been mentioning that sales seems to be slow everywhere, could it be a general slowdown due to either higher prices on a lot of stuff (or Gas) or the fact most people have a lot of Credit card debt already?

Im kinda in the same boat and dont think I will buying an OASYS soon, still love the sounds, interface and keyboard on it but wish it was about $4K or so in price.

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by midi

Has anyone else been tracking OASYS sales? At the $8K+ price I think a lot of people aren't buying.

No one except Korg has any knowledge of OASYS sales vs. anticipated/projected sales, which would be a key indicator of OASYS profitability (or lack thererof).

However, over at the Karma Lab forum we have a thread where people can log their OASYS Serial numbers, and just by that information will can tell that Korg Japan has manufactured at least 2,042 OASYS keyboards so far. For a product that was always expected to be low volume due to its high price, that number is a lot higher than I would have imagined.

One quirk about OASYS pricing (at least to me) is that, unlike other products, Korg has been holding the line requiring dealers to sell at MAP (minimum advertised price); normally dealers can sell products at whatever price they want. The current OASYS pricing policy ensures the dealers get a reasonable profit margin on each OASYS sold but this doesn't earn Korg any additional money.

Therefore, combined with the fact that prices of all products eventually fall, I am expecting the OASYS price to drop sometime within the next six months (my own personal prediction based on no real knowledge except history).

Unfortunately I don't think the price of a new OASYS will ever go as low as $4,000; I assume the product would be discontinued before it hit that price.

• Members

I think that would necessitate a HUGE overhaul in their (Yamaha + Roland) current architechture -- multiple synthesis types, greatly improved soundsets, new features at a competitive price -- and personally I just don't see that happening any time soon.

I think Korg will have the extreme upper-end of the workstation market to itself for a while.

• Members

Originally posted by midi

Was in Rainbow Music in Tucson today and demoed the Korg OASYS 88-note keyboard and man was it slow, no traffic at all.(Summers in AZ are really slow business wise anyways). The sales guy I know was bitching about not selling any keyboards

If he's not selling keyboards, then I wouldn't be surprised that he hadn't sold an OASYS. When people can save about $560, or more, just in tax, they will usually get it, online. I've been to Rainbow Guitars (on Campbell Ave, near Grant) and had bought a few items from them.

Yeah, sales might be down, but it also depends on where you are. Tucson is a college town, with fairly low wages. (The same job I had, in Tucson, paid less than half of what I make in Las Vegas.) The buying market can't compare to places like Scottsdale, Phoenix or larger cities.

For example: Khazul said this, last month, in This thread.

I was in Digital Village in London the other day and noticed an Oasys box waiting for pickup - asked them if they are selling many - apparently they are selling loads of them.

You are also right about the price of gas cutting into people's "disposable" income. Credit card minimum payments have gone up, as well. Hardware synths aren't the only things experiencing a sales dip. I know people who sell DVDs that are having a down time, right now.

Like any product, that has been out for a while, the OASYS could use some freshening up. It has been several months, since the last OS and Physical Modelling synth engine (STR-1) updates. It would benefit Korg to soon release a new synth engine type, expansion soundset and OS. That kind of stuff usually excites buyers and will probably cause a sales spike.

• Members

Originally posted by Mike Conway

It would benefit Korg to soon release a new synth engine type, expansion soundset and OS. That kind of stuff usually excites buyers and will probably cause a sales spike.

yeah but that would make sense, like putting the jackfield in the right place on the RADIUM or perhaps having SOME KIND of real bass capability in the C/BX-3.

• Members

Originally posted by dxdreamer

maybe the price will be droped when newer roland and yamaha workstation is ready to release

I'm quite looking forward to seeing what (if anything) their new super workstations will be. I'm also quite eager to see what the smaller, cheaper incarnations of the OASYS will be like when they eventually appear. That's the good thing about having no kit - when I'm able to start again from the ground up there'll be loads of neat {censored} out :D

• Members

You are also right about the price of gas cutting into people's "disposable" income. Credit card minimum payments have gone up, as well.

I can't see either of those being a factor for people buying an Oasys. If you have the money for an 8k keyboard the price of gas going up slightly is barely noticable (when you make 6 figures you don't notice an extra $20 a week for gas) and your not carrying credit card debt anyway.

I'm also quite eager to see what the smaller, cheaper incarnations of the OASYS will be like when they eventually appear.

See Radias

• Members

Originally posted by Sinner6

My local GC guy says Oasys sales have really improved for them lately, in fact, he knows one guy who bought 2 of them for his church.

That's pretty spectacular overkill right there. Usually the S90 and similars do the job just as well, and think of the loads of presets that'll never be used.

Can't praise the Lord with cheap equipment, though ;).

• Members

Originally posted by Umbra

See Radias

I don't consider Radias to be anything to do with the OASYS. To me, it's more of a Z1/MS2000 replacement. Not that it's by any means a bad thing :D Both are good boards, and if I could afford one I'd already have a Radias R.

What I meant is like... a Triton HD or something :) Triton classic/studio shaped, black, lots of controllers and stuff, HD-1 engine and shedloads of expandy-plug-in bits and bobs to tart it up and customise it, and whang different synth engines into it if you so desired. A cheaper, smaller OASYS available to the masses. I've got no issue whatsoever with revamped and repackaged versions of existing/older products as long as they're good :)

And no stupid flux-capacitor valve. All it does is make everything sound horrible and it looks daft. (Although if you can get a Triton up to 88mph I'm sure it's all very impressive). If you insist on putting one in there, dissect an XK3 first and learn how to make one that sounds GOOD.

• Members

Originally posted by Yoozer

That's pretty spectacular overkill right there. Usually the S90 and similars do the job just as well, and think of the loads of presets that'll never be used.

Can't praise the Lord with cheap equipment, though
;)

Oh, I agree. I can see the kids in youth group banging out chopsticks on it now.

• Members

Heh... round here you'd get the little bastards drawing sex organs on the screen with permanent marker

That's exactly what church is all about.:)

If a church has enough money to buy an Oasys vs. helping the less fortunate then the church isn't doing it's job and the members should take a serious look at their leadership and their own values.

I don't consider Radias to be anything to do with the OASYS.

The heart of RADIAS beats with Korg

• Members

Originally posted by Umbra

That's exactly what church is all about.
:)

If a church has enough money to buy an Oasys vs. helping the less fortunate then the church isn't doing it's job and the members should take a serious look at their leadership and their own values.

But they NEED all that extra power to dial up some cheesy electric piano or pipe organ sound for every song.

• Members

I had a GC sales guy say right to my face that it's a neat machine but waaay overpriced. He said he would rather buy a Fantom and some software, and have more power than the Oasys at half the price. I told him I'd rather get on ebay and score up a 10-keyboard rig with more power than the Oasys for 1/3 of the price. He laughed and agreed.

• Members

Originally posted by TheFoosa

I had a GC sales guy say right to my face that it's a neat machine but waaay overpriced.

Given what I understand their hourly wages to be (very low), I don't think a GC sales guy could afford to buy an OASYS; he might not even be able to afford a Fantom.

• Members
Just to be clear - the low-aliasing osc design is what RADIAS "borrowed" from OASYS.

It's great you guys are real clear in your advertising:rolleyes: If that's all that borrowed I would hardly say

and borrows much of its modeling techniques from Korg

Archived