Fulltone Power Question

doomy3

• Members

I am pretty new to the pedal stuff, and just got a couple Fulltone pedals (Soul-Bender, Distortion Pro). Anyways on the pedal it says "9VDC "Standard adaptors cannot be used!" I have an MPS Pedal board with the Power Pad conditioned power suppy, a patchpad, and the daisy chains. Will that power be OK for these pedals mixed in with a tubescreamer, boss chorus, Fulltone Clyde, and some other stuff? OR do I need to stick to a 9V battery or the Fulltone power supply? THanks for the help.

• Members

Originally posted by PGS412

Your Soul Bender will have a Positive tip for the adaptor (most power supplies are negative tip & would be unsuitable)

Im not usre about the Dist Pro...

OK, this is probably a really dumb question, but how do I know if I have a positive or negative tip for the power supply?

So basically, the power supply is designed to work with either boss type(+, -), OR Fulldrive, etc(-,+), but not both on the same board? So what do people do? Just use batteries on certain ones?

• Members

Normal power supplies - those that are designed to work with Boss etc - have a negative center pin, and the same goes for the power supply you have. The Distortion Pro will work with any standard 9vDC power supply, and should be just fine with the Power Pad supply.

The Soulbender is another matter - it needs a separate power supply. In that pedal, "+" goes to ground, instead of "-" as in the DP and other 'normal' pedals. This means that if you hook it up from the same supply as the others, the power will short out. What you need is a separate 9vDC adapter with a plug that has a positive center pin (i.e. wired backwards, compared to the norm). Of course, you can always just run it on battery power. To avoid it draining the battery when you're not playing, just remember to either unplug the cable from the input jack or insert a blank plug in the adapter jack.

/Andreas

Archived