Anybody try the MI Audio Neo Fuzz? ... or the GI Fuzz for that matter?

Shakkal

• Members

How do they sound compared to other fuzzes? Their tweakability interests me because I use a few different amps and it's a pain to try to get fuzzes to work equally well with all of them. I'd be using them mostly for traditional fuzzface tones, sorta like Hendrix, Gilmour, The Black Crowes or Doyle Bramhall II ...

I'm more interested in the Neo at the moment but if the GI can get warm and fat enough I could consider that one. Thanks in advance.

• Members

Hi. I have both. Unfortunately I have them for sale right now along with a ton of other stuff because I need to pay off a recent guitar purchase and so they must go for now. But I will without a doubt pick up another pair in the near future. Let me know if you are interested in buying either or both. I would consider shipping to you but email me first to sort out the shipping details. Here is what I had said about them in another thread. I just looked it up and copied and pasted it. Here goes..................

So.... the MI Audio fuzzes.... where to begin.... I first got the Neo and was dissapointed out of the box. This pedal is the epitome of having to spend time tweaking. I spent a great deal of time with it, twiddling every knob. The controls are extremely interactive. But the kicker was the internal gain trimmer. It comes set in the middle. I found that cranking the internal trimmer and backing off the outside gain knob brought out the Neo's potential. It changes the bias range by doing this. I finally got it to where it did everything I was looking for in a ge fuzz. The last piece of the puzzle was adjusting the tone knob a wee bit bright and then clicking the 3-way tone switch to the right. I absolutely love this pedal now! It bothers me that people might try it and give up on it too quickly. I wanted to send it back to Brad initially but am glad I spent the time with it. It is the most tweakable and versatile fuzz I have tried. I ended up liking it so much that I ordered the GI from Brad a couple of days later. Two very different beasts. The GI needed the same type of tweaking in terms of cranking the internal gain and lowering the outside gain. What has made me keep both of them and keep both of them on my board nonetheless is the way in which they interact with my Octron and Deja' Vibe. The GI is the pedal that I have searched for to use with my Octron. They sound beautiful together. And the Neo sounds amazing with the DV. Don't get me wrong, they sound good in all combinations but the ones I just mentioned just sound great. The Neo excels with chord work and Hendrix-y type stuff while the GI goes over the top and provides a great cutting, high gain in your face fuzz.

At the end of the day, they are two very different sounding pedals that don't overlap which is great. Both have their points of excellence which I mentioned above. If you like to tweak and have a really customized sound that is your own, these are the fuzzes to check out. They are priced right too as far as I am concerned. And the small footprint makes having two fuzzes on your board not so much of a nusance.

• Members

Thanks man ... what I need in a Ge Fuzz is that it has enough gain, and on the other hand is not as bass heavy as my London Fuzz, while still being in the Fuzzface ballpark. I already have a Soulbender for other Ge sounds.

... in a Si Fuzz I would appreciate something a bit fatter and maybe gainier than my purple Fulltone '70. It sounds great but more often than not it seems to be lacking a certain something no matter how I tweak the internal trim pot.

• Members

Originally posted by Shakkal

Thanks man ... what I need in a Ge Fuzz is that it has enough gain, and on the other hand is not as bass heavy as my London Fuzz, while still being in the Fuzzface ballpark. I already have a Soulbender for other Ge sounds.

... in a Si Fuzz I would appreciate something a bit fatter and maybe gainier than my purple Fulltone '70. It sounds great but more often than not it seems to be lacking a certain something no matter how I tweak the internal trim pot.

Well, to be honest with you......... the Neo and GI have at least twice the gain of other fuzzes I have tried.

Both can be tweaked to have as much or as little bottom as you want. I can't express how tweakable they are. Since I have these for sale, I have put my Fulltone '70 on my board and have these boxed up. I love the '70 but it definitely doesn't have the bite and fullness of the GI Fuzz.

• Members

Originally posted by Arjae

Since I have these for sale, I have put my Fulltone '70 on my board and have these boxed up. I love the '70 but it definitely doesn't have the bite and fullness of the GI Fuzz.

Just curious...why not sell the Fulltone then? It would probably sell quicker as well.

• Members

I just said that they are different. Not that I don't like the '70. I like it a lot. Different flavors. Besides, '70's are old news and no one cares about them. It will be easier to sell the MI's (on eBay) and it makes more sense economically right now!

Archived