first effects setup, point me in the right direction.

mr2good

• Members

I have been playing acoustic for a couple years. I just bought an ESP LTD1000 and a peavey delta blues 210 30 watt tube amp.

I have no idea which direction to take my effects. Should I look into an all in one solution like a tonelab se, get all my effects and a wah for around $400? Should I look into individual pedals? What about a tube driven distortion pedal? What kind of effects or tone pedals are most pertinent?

Basically, if you could start your effects board over from scratch what kind of setup would you reccomend to me?

If it matters, im into a more classic vintage tone like hendrix, gilmour, clapton.

The drive channel on my Peavey is ok, but Im sure I could get a much sweeter tone with some help.

Thanks!

• Members

Aahhh, I have a pedal for you.

The Foxrox Captain Coconut. It's hendrix/Gilmour pedal for sure. Fuzz, Vibe and Octave in one. Certainly a classy start to a pedal collection. Also look at the TZF Flanger. Pretty steep learning curve if you're new to effects but some wild sounds to be had.

wah would be another thing. Look at the Teese wahs. Generally considered the finest.

You could go for a multi-fx but I'd start here and also add a Boss DD20 to cover all your delay needs.

After that you can add fine exponents of any number of effects.

• Members

Originally posted by mr2good

I have been playing acoustic for a couple years. I just bought an ESP LTD1000 and a peavey delta blues 210 30 watt tube amp.

I have no idea which direction to take my effects. Should I look into an all in one solution like a tonelab se, get all my effects and a wah for around $400? Should I look into individual pedals? What about a tube driven distortion pedal? What kind of effects or tone pedals are most pertinent?

Basically, if you could start your effects board over from scratch what kind of setup would you reccomend to me?

If it matters, im into a more classic vintage tone like hendrix, gilmour, clapton.

The drive channel on my Peavey is ok, but Im sure I could get a much sweeter tone with some help.

Thanks!

Fourth Floor has a fine recommendation. i've never played that foxrox but it sounds like it fits yr bill.

+1 on the dd20. great for gilmour-style delay, looping, etc.

the way i started on fx was with a cheap multifx unit. it got me familiar w/ the different sounds, how they work, which ones i wanted to use, etc.

• Members

If you really have no idea about any effects, i would get like a digitech rp100. I started out with that and it will get you familiar with the different effects. A Line 6 pod is another way to go and it sounds good enough to keep around for a while. It would be best to pick up a used one and mess around with it, but you could go to a music store and mess around with all the pedals for a while.
Once you get a feel for the particular effects you want, im sure people around her can help you spend your money:D

• Members

Originally posted by GuyaGuy

the way i started on fx was with a cheap multifx unit. it got me familiar w/ the different sounds, how they work, which ones i wanted to use, etc.

+1. It was a Zoom 3030, which at the time I thought was fabulous, but looking back, was a pile of {censored}. It got me intrested though.

• Members

I appreciate the advice guys.

The commander cocconut pedal looks awesome.

I am a bit more concerned with tone right now, rather than effects like delay. I feel like my drive needs a bit of an overhaul.

Maybe its not the drive channel that is the culprit but the lack of any flavor to that channel.

Would something like a tonebone help out my situation?

• Members
Originally posted by GuyaGuy

or one of these:

http://magicstomp.com/eng_flash/audiodemo/index.html

i've been fiddling and trying out fx for quite a while now and i'm still planning to get one!

WOW.....i didnt even think of that even though i ordered one on tuesday:D :D I am probly just gonna use it for delay and reverb and maybee a few other effects that arent on my MM4 though.

BTW: The tonebone Hot british is an awsome pedal that is very versatile also. That is definately on my want list:D

• Members

Originally posted by riffdaddy

BTW, do you still have the Larrivee? If so, how's it working out for you?

Oh ya, I still have it. It's treated me very well. Its got a couple battle scars on it, from drunken friends, but it still sounds, looks and plays like a dream.

I actually PM'ed you about getting another cosmetic blem'd larrivee for a buddy of mine. You still working at witchitaband?

Archived