Hey, Palthegiraffe...

jcn37203

• Members

That's actually one of the schools I looked at early on when I was picking a college.

My dream college, though, is Lincoln Memorial University in Harrogate, TN, where the majority of my Tennessee kinfolks live. I didn't look at going there, but it's my dream place to live and teach. If I could get a job teaching there, I'd go back to English-teaching in a second.

• Members

Originally posted by BillyGrahamCracker

That's actually one of the schools I looked at early on when I was picking a college.

My dream college, though, is Lincoln Memorial University in Harrogate, TN, where the majority of my Tennessee kinfolks live. I didn't look at going there, but it's my dream place to live and teach. If I could get a job teaching there, I'd go back to English-teaching in a second.

Never heard of it.

Is it one of those backwoods unaccredited private colleges?

• Members

They beat my almost-alma-mater (Wake Forest, where I went for freshman and sophomore years before transferring to Ohio State), which surprised me. Not that WF is any good, but I thought VU could only beat teams like The Citadel and Northern Arkansas Veterinary College.

My father the Nashville lawyer (and MTSU grad) is already sick of the VU hype he has to hear. It's reaching levels unheard of since that glorious 1982 season in which the 'Dores actually went to a bowl game (the Hall of Fame bowl, which they lost).

College football talk around here, on the other hand, has been sadly muted since the Texas disaster last weekend. Columbus carries the burden of this tragedy on its collective back. Hurricane victims? Dead Iraqis? Small potatoes compared to losing a shot at the national title so early in the season.

• Members

Originally posted by palthegiraffe

They beat my almost-alma-mater (Wake Forest, where I went for freshman and sophomore years before transferring to Ohio State), which surprised me. Not that WF is any good, but I thought VU could only beat teams like The Citadel and Northern Arkansas Veterinary College.

My father the Nashville lawyer (and MTSU grad) is already sick of the VU hype he has to hear. It's reaching levels unheard of since that glorious 1982 season in which the 'Dores actually went to a bowl game (the Hall of Fame bowl, which they lost).

College football talk around here, on the other hand, has been sadly muted since the Texas disaster last weekend. Columbus carries the burden of this tragedy on its collective back. Hurricane victims? Dead Iraqis? Small potatoes compared to losing a shot at the national title so early in the season.

I don't understand.

• Members

Originally posted by palthegiraffe

It extends beyond Columbus. Thank god--I could really care less about OSU football. Although my OSU alum girlfriend has concocted some bizarre conspiracy theory in her head about Kenneth Blackwell, the 2004 election and OSU's loss to Texas.

At least the Tribe is kicking some ass.

• Members

Originally posted by jcn37203

I don't understand.

It's the state religion here, and the 2002 national championship only ratcheted up the fervor. You have to be able to get past the fact that the mascot is a poisonous tree nut wearing a sweater to accept the craziness into your life.

The local alumni football-watching freaks meet at the sports bar to the left of the Brentwood Kroger for football games, if you ever want to personally witness a tiny slice of the weirdness.

Archived