Tonebone vs English Muffin

ninja of love

• Members
Originally posted by guitarcapo

I don't know about this English Muffin business but I'd like to give a shout out to my Tonebone Classic. It does the heavy lifting when it comes to distortion on my pedal board. Very tweakable and it loves clean Fenders played at low volumes.

It sounds like it has gobs of gain. I can't imagine the need for the Hot British.

• Members

Originally posted by ninja of love

It sounds like it has gobs of gain. I can't imagine the need for the Hot British.

I once bought a Hot British on a whim and when I got it home and plugged it in, I was surprised at how much gain there was. It wasn't even usable for me, and I play some good solid rock. I mean it sounded good for what it was, but there was so much gain it would just be a fuzzy mush in the mix no matter how I eq'd it. I was a bit confused by their sample settings as well.. particularly the Led Zeppelin one...I've never heard Jimmy Page use that much gain (not that that's a bad thing). Long story short, I traded it to someone on this forum (forget who) for a DD-20, and he liked it much more than I did.

The Tonebone Classic is where it's at.

• Members
Originally posted by justing

I once bought a Hot British on a whim and when I got it home and plugged it in, I was surprised at how much gain there was. It wasn't even usable for me, and I play some good solid rock. I mean it sounded good for what it was, but there was so much gain it would just be a fuzzy mush in the mix no matter how I eq'd it. I was a bit confused by their sample settings as well.. particularly the Led Zeppelin one...I've never heard Jimmy Page use that much gain (not that that's a bad thing). Long story short, I traded it to someone on this forum (forget who) for a DD-20, and he liked it much more than I did.

The Tonebone Classic is where it's at.

Danke.

• Members

Originally posted by ninja of love

?

Ninja, I have the Hot British and also used to have (briefly) a Tonebone classic. I returned it after purchasing a Nady TD-1. Why? Because I played them head to head and they sounded exactly the same and has the same features and it was roughly 100 dollars less.

• Members

The Tonebone doesn't seem to have too much gain for me and I'm no metal head. Sure if you crank everything it gets all white noisey but like I said, it's very tweakable. I use the Keeley TS-9 when I want to push my amp instead of getting my drive from a pedal...or to mix with the tonebone. The Badcat in my chain is mostly
used as a clean boost.

• 4 months later...
  • Members

Originally posted by Chris B.

I tried the Muff'n once and bought right then and there. Totally blows away the Tonebone. I am no longer using the Tonebone.

The Muff'n can get great Plexi/JCM800 tones. Tone knobs actually work!

how close to the plexis does it actually sound? is it noticeable on recordings? or is it better just to have the plexi cranked up for recording situations?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I had an English Muff'n but later sold it. It sounds great for JCM800 tones like the above poster said, but my problem was that I was already running a JCM800 in front of it. I think it's more suited to being used with a clean amp to bring into Marshall territory than as a boost to an already driven amp.

Archived