Boss FZ-2 Hyperfuzz vs. Ibanez Standard Fuzz

ck3

• Members

FZ2.jpg

VS.

ibanez_standardfuzz1_a.jpg

I realize that both of these are from the same fuzz family ... but how similar are they? :confused:

I've owned a Boss FZ-2, but have never experienced a standard fuzz in person. The clips on the tonefrenzy site remind me a great deal of my former Hyper Fuzz, though the midrange seems more variable and the fuzz sounds more sputtery at times. Is this an accurate assessment?

• Members

Hi Charles,

The FZ-2 is more or less a slightly modernised superfuzz...

However the Standard Fuzz is different from the superfuzz - It's in the family but it's the black sheep. I think it uses FET's (god knows what they are - I heard Sir HC say it!!!) but it sounds different - Gnarlier and sandier and trashier. The 2 tones are more extreme - the scooped one is more scooped and deeper, and the middy one is bigger and more manly sounding. I had 2 superfuzzes and sold them in favour of the standard which is just nastier and fuzzier!

• Members

Originally posted by clayton explode

china fuzz is a copy of the superfuzz.

i liked it but it didn't have as much gain as a super fuzz or a standard fuzz.

i bought it for the scooped higher gain sound, most people like the china for the pete townshed dead on tone.

Rats. :(

• Members

I've heard it said that the Standard fuzz can sit in the ballpark that is the Big Cheese. Thing is, if you got a superfuzz clone (china fuzz, blackcat, etc) it stil isn't gunna sound like that standard fuzz casue they're superfuzz clones, and I don't think I've seen anyone marketing a standard fuzz clone.

BUT - the Standard is available in a variety of formats and under different names. If it looks like that thing above then it's got the tone. You can also get it in the ibanez 'Standard Wau Fuzz' pedal that was also just known as 'Wau Wau Fuzz' sold under Guyatone, Mica, and and a whole load of other names - mine hasn't got ANY logo on it whatsoever.....again look at the case - this is the standard fuzz with wah added....note the pedal shape and inset graphics, and the 2 pot/2 knob configuration....often available pretty cheap.

• Members

Originally posted by Kelly

I have a fz I only use for volume boost. I just like my fulltone better for fuzz sounds.

I actually ditched an FZ-2 a few months ago becuse the fuzz didn't sustain enough for my taste.

Actually, how well does the Standard Fuzz allow one to hold notes? It didn't sound very gated in the Tonefrenzy clips, but one can never be certain. :o

• Members

i would agree with boron's explaination of standard fuzz tone. great pedal. i allways wanted a superfuzz, but this is maybe even better.

little issue: i would like it little bit more louder. it is slightly over unity gain with middy tone when cranked all way up, and scooped tone is, of course, perceived quieter.

• Members

Originally posted by ck3

I actually ditched an FZ-2 a few months ago becuse the fuzz didn't sustain enough for my taste.

Actually, how well does the Standard Fuzz allow one to hold notes? It didn't sound very gated in the Tonefrenzy clips, but one can never be certain.
:o

The FZ-2 has more sustain than the standard fuzz - the Standard Fuzz is much more caveman in almost all repects. Especially in the sustain department!

• Members

Originally posted by Boron

The FZ-2 has more sustain than the standard fuzz - the Standard Fuzz is much more caveman in almost all repects. Especially in the sustain department!

Hrrmmm ... this is disheartening news ... but, for some unfathomable reason, I still want one. :confused:

Archived