Anyone Love The Beatles?

Mike McLenison

• Members

Wow! Very cool. Thanks for sharing.

I'm currently reading a book that was recommended by forumite HookStrapped. It's Leonard Bernstein's The Joy of Music. Anyway, early on in the book, he replays a conversation he had with a friend. That friend stated that Beethoven was the greatest composer ever, and Bernstein played devil's advocate, showing that Beethoven was not the best at any one thing: melody, harmony, rhythm, etc. But then he countered his own argument by saying that Beethoven IS god among composers for his Form, for how he pulls everything together, for the timeless, perfect MUSIC and SONGS he made, and the mere fact that he always chose the right note, the right chord, EXACTLY what should've come next, as if God was telling it to him.

Upon reading that, I directly applied it to the Beatles.

• Members
Originally posted by BillyGrahamCracker

I'm currently reading a book that was recommended by forumite HookStrapped. It's Leonard Bernstein's
The Joy of Music.
Anyway, early on in the book, he replays a conversation he had with a friend. That friend stated that Beethoven was the greatest composer ever, and Bernstein played devil's advocate, showing that Beethoven was not the best at any one thing: melody, harmony, rhythm, etc. But then he countered his own argument by saying that Beethoven IS god among composers for his Form, for how he pulls everything together, for the timeless, perfect MUSIC and SONGS he made, and the mere fact that he always chose the right note, the right chord, EXACTLY what should've come next, as if God was telling it to him.

Interesting analogy. Glad you're enjoying the book. :)

This reminds me of a conversation I had with a friend in 3rd grade. He was black, I was white, The Jackson 5 had a big hit with ABC123, and I was really into a Hard Day's Night (a few years out at the time but my sister always had it on the record player, and very accessible to a 3rd grader). I said something about liking the Beatles, and my friend Frederick jokingly made some disparaging remark about "honky" music.

As I replay that scene in my head, I tell Frederick, "Just you wait, Michael Jackson likes the Beatles so much that he's going to spend millions and millions of dollars to buy their songs."

• Members

Originally posted by lagunabeach

i love the beatles. the greatest rock and roll band ever. legendary. timeless.

I love the Beatles, but I'd have to disagree with that post. In my view the Beatles are not a rock'n'roll band. They are more of a pop band.

They still are the best at what they done though.

• Members
Originally posted by Headlow

I love the Beatles, but I'd have to disagree with that post. In my view the Beatles are not a rock'n'roll band. They are more of a pop band.

for back then, their syle was pretty rocky. i think most people think that they are the greatest ever because they "laid the foundation" to the music which we all play today. personally, i don't like that theory, because the people who influenced the beatles are just as important as the people the beatles were influenced by. the never-ending cycle to which music has evolved is quite interesting. unfortunatly, this is where we now stand.

britney%20bride.jpg:o

• Members

I heard they were all very short. Is it true?

Doesn't matter though - they will forever remain the greatest band in history.

When I get into discussions with people that don't understand the Beatles they seem to always think of there early stuff and find it too "bubble gum -ish". I somewhat agree but from Rubber Soul on they were simply the greatest. IMO

• Members

Originally posted by Headlow

meet you in the playground after school. i'm bringing a copy of your blues and one after nine o nine, helter skelter, i feel fine, taxman, twist and shout, i saw her standing there, etc.

we could play a tether-ball match if you don't wanna get dirty...

• Members
Originally posted by moonhead

meet you in the playground after school. i'm bringing a copy of your blues and one after nine o nine, helter skelter, i feel fine, taxman, twist and shout, i saw her standing there, etc.

we could play a tether-ball match if you don't wanna get dirty...

You listed some great songs, but I just dont find them very rocky at all, especially when you compare them with the Stones and the Who. To each their own I suppose.

Can I just clarify that I DO love the Beatles :D
I dont want any arguments.

• Members

Interesting bit of music history: by the time American blues, at least in the form of a singer, guitarist, bassist, and drummer, reached England, it had come close to running its course in the states and we were moving on to other styles of pop music. Of course without mass communication, the Beatles had no idea that this music was no longer cool, they just heard it and liked it. You can argue about whether or not the Beatles were a pop band or a rock band, but that's kind of like arguing about whether or not you can fry eggs in a cast iron skillet or a frying pan, it works both ways.

I'd say the Beatles had a huge impact on both pop and rock music, and it's kind of pointless to argue that deep purple or whoever else could kick their butts at rock music. There are always going to be better bands out there, because we can look at what the Beatles did and ask, what else can we do to build on this?

J

• Members

Originally posted by Jeremy Skrenes

Interesting bit of music history: by the time American blues, at least in the form of a singer, guitarist, bassist, and drummer, reached England, it had come close to running its course in the states and we were moving on to other styles of pop music. Of course without mass communication, the Beatles had no idea that this music was no longer cool, they just heard it and liked it. You can argue about whether or not the Beatles were a pop band or a rock band, but that's kind of like arguing about whether or not you can fry eggs in a cast iron skillet or a frying pan, it works both ways.

I'd say the Beatles had a huge impact on both pop and rock music, and it's kind of pointless to argue that deep purple or whoever else could kick their butts at rock music. There are always going to be better bands out there, because we can look at what the Beatles did and ask, what else can we do to build on this?

J

w0rd.

• Members

Originally posted by univox5138

w0rd.

There's the Beatles.

and then there is all of the rest.

Just the best, in fact I think John Lennon and Paul McCartney will go down in history as superior to Beethoven and maybe even Mozart (who I think was heads above beethoven)

Forget the dumb argument about rock or pop, they wrote melodies, that is what separates real writers and those thata develop a style or a tone or other thngs that just seem like gimmicks next to real melody.

• Members

Originally posted by BillyGrahamCracker

I'm currently reading a book that was recommended by forumite HookStrapped. It's Leonard Bernstein's
The Joy of Music.
Anyway, early on in the book, he replays a conversation he had with a friend. That friend stated that Beethoven was the greatest composer ever, and Bernstein played devil's advocate, showing that Beethoven was not the best at any one thing: melody, harmony, rhythm, etc. But then he countered his own argument by saying that Beethoven IS god among composers for his Form, for how he pulls everything together, for the timeless, perfect MUSIC and SONGS he made, and the mere fact that he always chose the right note, the right chord, EXACTLY what should've come next, as if God was telling it to him.

Well said Mr. Cracker.

Archived