14VAC transformer blown fuse inquiry

• Members

A treasured Boss DR770 ceased working after 6 years. Tech repaired and actually improved the Boss coil design which had overheated and shorted. I was using a salvaged 14AC unit from Radio Shack for their Optimus brand powered speakers (the Boss factory power supply is my backup) I noticed a sign on the Optimus unit about secondary fuse inside and a warning to not short the unit. Cut it open carefully and saw the 5 amp 250V burnt fuse. If I replace the fuse can the transformer be put back in service? I am always on the look out for trashed printers, game units, etc to see if their odd voltage transformers can be recycled.

• Members

the Boss drum nit had an internal short -The coils overheated and melted the wax. Tech put in two coils instead of one and also made improvements to the power supply and it cost me only $45. The DR770 is well worth the repair cost. The Radio Shack transformer had a label saying warning secondary fuse. I have no idea if the original power pack had a fuse. 14VAC is such an odd supply. The follow up to the DR770 the DR670 has a 9VDC supply. I have one of those also and actually prefer it to the DR770 even though one cannot name the patterns, name the kits and are limited to just two measures for each pattern. The DR770 could have a pattern of 99 "beats" and made for some interesting asymetrical looping (setting a long 19 measure pattern to be played over live jams- John Poole.

Archived