Ahhh, what a difference a night's rest makes.

jcn37203

• Members

I stayed at work like 3 hours late, plus skipped lunch yesterday trying to fix this error in an application I'm working on.

I could. not. figure it out.

Then I come in to work this morning, get some coffee, check my email, open up the application, look at it for about 7 minutes, and the answer is totally obvious.

:confused:

• Members

This is why I don't subscribe to the idea that working tons of hours is always the answer when the pressure is on. Fatigue, hunger and stress have a profound effect on performance, and it's same in manual labor jobs as it is skilled, computer-based occupations.

• Members
Originally posted by sstim8or

This is why I don't subscribe to the idea that working tons of hours is always the answer when the pressure is on. Fatigue, hunger and stress have a profound effect on performance, and it's same in manual labor jobs as it is skilled, computer-based occupations.

We had this "professional" consultant come in for a week once and give all these presentations over the course of a week about how to improve our programming, and have fewer errors and fix problems faster, etc.

One of his presentations was about how, at least in programming, being in "the zone" is a bad thing. He was saying that we should actually take lots of tiny breaks (hello, HCEF) while working, and that you should not allow yourself to focus on one specific thing for longer than 15 or maybe 30 minutes at a time. This supposedly will keep your mind stimulated, instead of focusing in on one line of thinking.

*nervously looks at the left side of screen*

So I figure I've taken, oh, almost 20,000 tiny breaks over the past few years, so I guess I'm like, the best programmer in the world.

:)

But really, I think the dude was generally full of {censored}. Most of these consultants are. They're like performers, really. You hire them to come in and present avante garde ideas about how to revolutionize your workflow, which may or may not help.

It's almost obscene how much money you can make with a good powerpoint presentation, a little charm and a weird idea. Espceially if you can get a book published to support your idea.

I think all programmers should have to program standing up at their computers, but not at high tables, they should have to stand at their desks, bent over to reach the keyboard.

All day.

The discomfort of the posture will subconciously inspire them to work faster, so they can go sit down, or at least straighten their backs.

That will be $12,000 please.

Oh, and they should have to stand on thumbtacks.

That will be another $3,000.

And take the toilet paper out of the bathroom. There will be 1 roll for the entire group to share, and whoever needs it has to find the last person who used it, and ask them for it. This will promote humility and community among the team.

I'll bill you.

• Members
Originally posted by jcn37203

We had this "professional" consultant come in for a week once and give all these presentations over the course of a week about how to improve our programming, and have fewer errors and fix problems faster, etc.

One of his presentations was about how, at least in programming, being in "the zone" is a bad thing. He was saying that we should actually take lots of tiny breaks (hello, HCEF) while working, and that you should not allow yourself to focus on one specific thing for longer than 15 or maybe 30 minutes at a time. This supposedly will keep your mind stimulated, instead of focusing in on one line of thinking.

*nervously looks at the left side of screen*

So I figure I've taken, oh, almost 20,000 tiny breaks over the past few years, so I guess I'm like, the best programmer in the world.

:)

But really, I think the dude was generally full of {censored}. Most of these consultants are. They're like performers, really. You hire them to come in and present avante garde ideas about how to revolutionize your workflow, which may or may not help.

It's almost obscene how much money you can make with a good powerpoint presentation, a little charm and a weird idea. Espceially if you can get a book published to support your idea.

I've worked with several people over the years who pride themselves in what they call "work ethic". And that's all well and good, but what they're referring to is a penchant for panic, and the belief that working long hours is the only solution to any difficult situation.

I've found that calm, emotionless analysis and efficient use of time are far more effective.

• Members

I've worked with several people over the years who pride themselves in what they call "work ethic". And that's all well and good, but what they're referring to is a penchant for panic, and the belief that working long hours is the only solution to any difficult situation.

I've found that calm, emotionless analysis and efficient use of time are far more effective.

It's funny you say that, actually. Because at my last job, the whole point was work work work. There was a period of about 3 months where 60 hour weeks were mandatory. It was like, more hours = more output. But what it really meant was a greater output of crap.

Then I come to this place, and my boss is like "{censored} that. I don't know about you, but I'm not working long hours. I might stay late to work something out if there's a deadline, but I'm making up for it by coming in late the next day."

It was a shocking change in atmosphere.

• Members

My wife had to go to a "leadership seminar" I have a pet peeve about those things. Those people are so full of {censored}. I fully agree with the Dilbert principle that says anyone who craves leadership enough to buy books and listen to these asshats is probably a moron and will probably make a {censored}ty leader. Furthermore I find nothing wrong with not wanting to be a leader. I want to go into work, work, get my paycheck and go the {censored} home. I think leaders have to go to Christmas parties and stuff.

"As a leader you have to think outside of the box. Leaders think outside of the box. External box thinking is leadership. I know a guy that thinks inside the box. He's not a leader. No. you have to think outside of the box"

*loads gun* :mad:

Anyways, her boss asked my wife what she thought about it when it was over. She said "you want to know what I honestly thought? I think he's full of {censored} just like every other guy that speaks on leadership but doesn't actually work within the confines of an organization and here's why......" They were impressed with her rant.

She got 6 people put under her. LOL!! :D

She's not pleased about that at all. But I think it's funny. You know...because it's not me. And when stuff happens to other people it's funny.

• Members

That's hilarious. One of my gov't worker guys is in his 60s...should have already retired but he doesn't really have anything to do. He's a brilliant scientist but he's slow to do everything and just doesn't get into panic mode.

Someone expressed their frustration to me about it one day and I told them that this guy has been around the block a time or three. This guy's seen some of the worst situations come and go and probably has a little better grip of priorities. He's worked through Viet Nam, Desert Storm, the Cold War..hell maybe even the Cuban Missile crisis (but I doubt it).

So when someone comes up to him and says "those numbers HAVE to be generated by 4:30@!!!!" He's been around long enough to know that they don't really have to.

Archived