OT: Lyric writing... How the hell do I let it happen?

ElectricMayhem

• Members
Originally posted by Devi Ever

who and what?

I don't like PM because I hate checking multiple inboxes.

My email address is readily available through
www.effector13.com
as well as my profile here on HCEF.

devi-

well, i'm funna send you and album from this dude(tte) that just won the britishpeople prize for best album. it's all about ol' candy darling. and antony is one of y'all. i'll do a YOUSENDIT.com thing with the album and get it to you. you might like it. i sure do.

Guest Anonymous

Originally posted by BillyGrahamCracker

well, i'm funna send you and album from this dude(tte) that just won the britishpeople prize for best album. it's all about ol' candy darling. and antony is one of y'all. i'll do a YOUSENDIT.com thing with the album and get it to you. you might like it. i sure do.

I'm still really confused, but I'll definitely listen to any music you send my way.

devi-

• Members

Originally posted by Devi Ever

I'm still really confused, but I'll definitely listen to any music you send my way.

devi-

don't be. it's the album that won that big british prize this past year. and it's really good. it's this dude who doesn't want to be a dude, so he plays piano and sings like nina simone. thus the reason that i love him.

Guest Anonymous
Originally posted by BillyGrahamCracker

don't be. it's the album that won that big british prize this past year. and it's really good. it's this dude who doesn't want to be a dude, so he plays piano and sings like nina simone. thus the reason that i love him.

So is he really a transexual, or just a Boy George?

Either way groovy.

Did you know the master synth composer and Moog pioneer Wendy Carlos, who wrote and performed Tron and a Clockwork Orange, is a transgender-type too? :')

Her old set up back in the day :
410studio.jpg

devi-

Guest Anonymous
Originally posted by yaz75

That's C-L-A-V-
I
-N you ass.

Do that again and I'll kick you right in the dick.

That's what in your ass?

sick bastards :mad:

• Members

I'm not a lyricist really, so I feel your pain. I write lyrics, but I'm not the BGC sort of writing in journals constantly and going to the tattoo shop to have him ink a phrase on my bicep so I won't forget it on the drive home.

I write music, and in order to not be instrumental I write lyrics. I try to be good at it so as not to have something so annoying to distract from the music. I'm all about the arrangements of instruments, the choice of instruments, the tones, the melodies, tempos. I would much rather be a co-writer....I just don't know anyone to cowrite with. I get a thrill out of bringing musical ideas to life. Writing lyrics is just a necessary evil.

It's not to say I don't love lyrics. I do. I recognize a great writer, and I love listening to great lyrics. But to me you have the greats....Costello, Prine, Waits, Dylan, etc. and then you have everyone else and I couldn't really give a {censored} about their lyrics. Unless they're embarrassingly bad.

I love the album Grace by Jeff Buckley. I know about 4 lines off of it though.

I find my best lyrics come from exercises.

1. Today I'm going to write a song about a toaster.
2. Today I'm going to write a song where the rhyming scheme ends before the sentence does.
3. Today I'm going to listen to Apple Blossom by the White Stripes and syllable by syllable come up with my own words to it.

etc.

Nostalgia sparks a lot of my songs. I try not to write them as nostalgic songs...as in I don't want them to be reminiscing style lyrics (those asswipes in Nashville have us covered there), but that's just the imagery I think of. Back in the early 90s, even earlier...back when I didn't know {censored}..just a kid, and applying the knowledge you have now and bringing it in to modern times and situations.

The reason I do this is because I can't tell you what I did last week, but I can name you everyone in my third grade class. Ten years from now I'll be able to tell you what I did last week. My long term memory kicks ass and so the imagery is much more vivid if I "go back" like that.

• Members

Originally posted by pontiusplaymate

okay, here's the real scoop. First you find a silent place...not just a quiet space. Get a comfortable chair--or lay on the floor if you prefer. Close your eyes and relax your body, starting with your toes and working up your legs (one at a time), then the arms, and your face. Don't let your mind wander...keep it clear of images by counting backwards from 300. Once you reach zero, and your body is relaxed...your breathing slow, easy and deep, I want you to think of a song you like, but which you haven't heard for awhile. Visualize the place where you fell in love with this song for the first time. Imagine each verse and each chorus, replay the solo in your head. Once you've worked your way through the experience....open your eyes...and realize that no song you'll ever write will be half as good as the song you just imagined. Finally, it's time to cry. It's okay, cry. Cry because you're a loser. It's okay to cry....loser.

But it isn't true. I have a poet within me. I just need to learn to let it flow. I don't need to cry, I need to write...

• Members

I also think there should be a mass revival of sea shanties.

I hate to break it to you, Gabe, but you aren't exactly cutting edge. My bass player wanted to write sea shanties 10 years ago. Sadly, like the epic of Saucy Jack, it never materialized...

• Members

Originally posted by ElectricMayhem

I hate to break it to you, Gabe, but you aren't exactly cutting edge. My bass player wanted to write sea shanties 10 years ago. Sadly, like the epic of Saucy Jack, it never materialized...

I don't claim to be cutting edge. I don't know why you think your bassplayer's desires somehow counts against my will to see a mass revival of sea shanties. In order for the mass revival to occur, there must be many behind the movement. I'm no leader of men, is your bassplayer? I think he should get the ball rolling.

What I most want to hear is a song based upon william bradford's account of the Puritan's journey to America.

• Members

I'm no leader of men, is your bassplayer? I think he should get the ball rolling.

He did. He wrote the song Shore Leave. It was about this whoring slut who hated shore leave because all the sailors would be gone from her local den of scalwaggery. It's tough to get people behind sea shanties, though. Maybe if beck would write one. Maybe Moby?

Archived