What is our opinion of The Decemberists?

jcn37203

• Members

I love 'em. And I think that's one of the weaker songs on that album. I also have Her Majesty the Decemberists and its great. I guess Chris Walla from Deathcab produced them. Maybe he cares more about production now that he doesn't have to think to play in his band?

• Members

Originally posted by VicShat

i love that band. check out "the mariner revenge song" it kicks ass. one of the best live bands i've ever seen.

+1

they were great last time i saw them live, so much fun.

ive only heard a little bit from their newer album, but what i did hear i didnt like as much as her majesty and castaways and cuouts, which i think are great.

ill have to give picaresque another listen though

• Members

Originally posted by jcn37203

Are they getting regular airplay?

Like, are they a hip band?

they are becoming pretty hip, but i dont know that they get any airplay. at least not around here. Picaresque (the newest) is probably my least favorite of their CD's. They have a pretty decent sized catalog and have been around for a while.

• Members

Originally posted by VicShat

definately the most fun i've ever had at a show, dancing around, pirate jigging, pretending to be swallowed by a whale... good times.

the pirate jigging was fantastic. at one point during "a cautionary song" the guitarist walked out into the crowd with a giant bass drum and a fake beard on. luckily, i saw them over a year ago at knox college in illinois, where a friend goes, and there were no more than a hundred people there. good stuff

• Members

Originally posted by best.album.ever

the pirate jigging was fantastic. at one point during "a cautionary song" the guitarist walked out into the crowd with a giant bass drum and a fake beard on. luckily, i saw them over a year ago at knox college in illinois, where a friend goes, and there were no more than a hundred people there. good stuff

yeah they had the guitarist with bass drum and the drummer with hand cymbols marching around the audiance.

• Members

They have a unique approach to their music.I went to their show in orlando and i was blown away by their energy live, and the violinist was hot.Great music with good live vibe, the mellow stuff was incredible too. I recommend the Picaresque album.

On another note, those DR. Z amps are sexy too.

• Members
Originally posted by jcn37203

:confused:

Are you guys {censored}ing with me?

This is beginning to sound really lame.

Fake beard?

haha, no it's for real. it was funny and awesome. it was like a fake zz top style that made him look like an old prospector or something.

• Members

One of my favorite bands.

See them live, and you will not be able to stop listening to them for a long time - very infectious.

Colin Meloy (lead singer) was a creative writing major, and has excellent topics that he sings about - many "story" songs that remind me of the Beatles ones like "Mean Mr. Mustard" and "Polythene Pam" etc... His voice is perfect live, along with the harmonies of Petra Haden (vilon player, back up singer) they are some of the best live voices I have ever heard.

Their music is mostly serious and heartfelt, mixed in with some really creative ones like the Mariner's Revenge Song - a sea shanty - which, although comes off a little campy at first, is a damn good song, with damn cool lyrics.

They are the band that I recommend any and all of my friends to go buy their CD - I think Picaresque is brilliant, start to finish. They are one of the best bands making music today. (I have seen them live 4 times).

And I am a guitar rock guy - Led Zep and Pearl Jamish - so it takes just solid songwriting to get me to be this passionate about a band that isn't very "guitary"

Archived