Low wattage rack tube amplifier

Dr.Love

• Members

Hi!

Is there any low wattage rack tube amplifier outthere?

I know marshall and mesa EL84 based amps. But I want something not as loud.

I'd like, for example, the power section of my vibro champs in a light rack unit. I'm sure two of them would fit one rack space.

It would be great if I had that in my rack. I don't like to use the 100watts power amp at home.

Any input?

• Members

Lexicon made a rackmounted amplifier for studio recording a few years back....'discontinued, however, but maybe find one used. If i remember, they were all tube classA with something like 5 watts in stereo...actually, it might have been two individual amps in one operating in stereo with separate volume and tone controls....hmmm..now i want to look into that.......i remember one sounding pretty good, but not really loud enough for stage or jamming...

• Members

What exactly are you looking to do?

I mean, it's hard to beat a mesa 2020 in that range. Tube amps are loud, it's just their nature.

The volume shouldn't mean a whole lot because you're most likely not going to be breaking the powertube section up when you're talking about a seperate tube amp. You'd use tube or diode clipping from your seperate preamp.

So like Weezer says..if it's too loud, turn it down.

:thu:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Originally posted by 667

Lexicon made a rackmounted amplifier for studio recording a few years back....'discontinued, however, but maybe find one used. If i remember, they were all tube classA with something like 5 watts in stereo...actually, it might have been two individual amps in one operating in stereo with separate volume and tone controls....hmmm..now i want to look into that.......i remember one sounding pretty good, but not really loud enough for stage or jamming...

Oh yes... I didn't remember I saw it in a magazine... I'll try to find info about it. That could be the right one.

Thank you!!

• Members

Originally posted by camerashake

It seems that there's lots of amp builders out there. I'm sure one of them could build you a rackable vibrochamp, or mod one for that purpose.

I'm also willing to bet that Matamp could build you a rackable MiniMat...

Yes, One of the amp builders could make one for me, but that would be very expensive... I wonder why there isn't any in production. I know they would be expensive, but not as expensive as a custom made amp. You know? I have two vibrochamps and I'm ok with them. If i could have that in the rack would be great, but if it's going to be very expensive... I prefer the champs.

The idea of modding the champs seems to be a good idea... I'll think about it, The first impresion is that i don't want to break them... They are my little firends... But if I could get another couple of them in a good price...

• Members
Originally posted by Thelonius

What exactly are you looking to do?

I mean, it's hard to beat a mesa 2020 in that range. Tube amps are loud, it's just their nature.

The volume shouldn't mean a whole lot because you're most likely not going to be breaking the powertube section up when you're talking about a seperate tube amp. You'd use tube or diode clipping from your seperate preamp.

So like Weezer says..if it's too loud, turn it down.

:thu:

I'm exactly looking for a very light tube rack power amp. 20/20 are ok, but they are too loud and too heavy for this purpose. So I think an amp built around just one 6V6 will be very light. And would give me enough power for playing at home. So the rack wouldn't get much heavier and the big power amp would stay off.

I would use it with a JMP1 and yes, I don't need to push the power amp to the limits.

It's basically a matter of weight, more than a matter of volume.

If it's too loud, turn it down. That's very Weezeresque :thu:

• Members

I used to have a Hughes & Kettner Cream Machine. It's a half-rack-sized tube amplifier. It's very low wattage but very loud for it's rating. I sold it a few months back as I have so many amps but it's definitely worth checking out if that's the thing you're after.

Archived