OT: stereo setups?? amp suggestions

5macca

• Members

not posting at the amp forum:

curious as to who uses a stereo amp setup.. and problems you faced??

what are your thoughts on using 2 different amps or 2 of the same amps??

im looking at selling my head and 4x12 and running thru 2 heads and 2 2x12's....taking full advantage of all the stereo pedals i use..

amps im thinking: bassman, twin verb, tremolux, vibrolux, jcm800.... along those lines

basically 2 simple and cheap amps, one clean/one dirty, would like one with verb/trem...

guitar sounds i like bailter space, the church, mbv, sonic youth, swans......that sort of deal

any talk on stereo setups???....

• Members

I run 2 amps but more for layering than stereo. I run a Matamp 1224mkII combo and a Matamp C7 deluxe with an ABY Flying Fox + supplied by dot-dot-dot. I use the C7 as sort of an extra channel so to speak but layered over the 1224. Gives a massive sound and the C7 has awesome natural distortion that I prefer it this way than using a booster. I do have two stereo fx, a Memory Lane and a Maxon Rotary phaser. I don't use the stereo of the Memory Lane but do run the phaser in stereo - I send the phased signal to the 1224 and the dry signal to the C7 as I don't like the phased sound into the C7.

The Flying Fox plus has stereo inputs as I requested them and I recommend that everyone looking to run a stereo setup looks into getting one of these as most isolated ABY switchers have only a single input which is no good for stereo fx. Check it out here.

• Members

I think the stereo set up is the way to go, but others say that it's just an unnecessary gimmick. I prefer to have my two amps on either side of the drummer, although others keep their amps together or use an amp that's already in stereo. I use two combo amps: 1) Roland Bolt 60, which is Roland's only tube amp, and 2) Roland JC-90 with two ten inch speakers. The JC-90 can run in stereo itself through the stereo effects loop of stereo chorus, but I run it in mono. I personally think it's better to have two different amps so that the sound can be more unique, and not just the Marshall sound, or the Fender sound, or what trademark sound someone might be into.

Stereo delays like DD-5 or DL4 work nicely, as does my Boss PN-2 Tremolo/Pan. There can be a problem with volume drop when panning though. The reason is simply because when panning, your only using half the amplifier power at a time. For example, if I'm panning left to right, on the extreme left, the right amp isn't in action at all. I wish that there was a little signal boost to my PN-2 in order to compensate for this. Either way, the panning effect is superb and really increases the spatial dimension of the sound. I also like to run a stereo flanger into my PN-2; since both the PN-2 and the DL4 have stereo inputs, I'm able to do this.

• Members

i use a garnet pro through a marshall 4x12 and a univox u-whatever the number is through its matching 2x12 cab. i was using a dd-5 but am thinking about building a switcher to aby them.

my best advice is to use a 100 watt 6l6 based amp for cleans and a 50 watt el34 amp for dirt.

personally i like to use both amps simultaneously for a majority of the time. i have the rat going into the garnet's distortion channel and the rat also going into a big muff and then into the univox.

• Members

I'm using a DL4 to split into my SC-30 and Pro Jr. I've though about using two Pro Jr's in stereo just to see how it compares.

I have had some phasing problems so I made a box to switch my speake phase on the PJ on the Fly (yes I know the Matchless has a phase switch).MVC-266S.jpg

• Members

OK, here's my crazy setup. The centerpiece is the Switchblade GL. I'd never go back to a one amp setup after using this now....

I use a Vox Ac-30 and Orange ad-140tc (w/ orange 4x12) with a good amount of effects. The stereo delay on my echo pro almost makes you dizzy. I use a Line 6 Echo Pro and a TC Electronic M-one for reverb and they sound amazing in stereo, and a bit flat in mono in comparison. The boss pn-2 sounds cool as well. The switchblade control unit is really the most amazing part of the setup though. I can configure my setup any way I want.

• Members

It really does depend on what you're trying to do. I love two amps setups in a number of different ways.

If you're trying to get true stereo effects then having two similar amps is the way to go in my opinion. I do that with a Fender Bandmaster and a Showman, each into a 2x12. They don't sound exactly the same by any means, but they are similar in character.

The other way to go is having two distinct sounding amps and blending them together to make your final sound. This is also really cool, but not quite as good for true stereo effects.

Either approach can sound great.

Peter

Archived