Improving sub mixer setup for keys?

• Members

My mixer finally died this weekend (damage from a recent fall)... the signal literally disinterating on channels 8/9 & 9/10. In my opinion for $90, these mixers are pretty disposable (this one lasted 3 years) however now that I am in the position of replacing this mixer I'm wondering if this is the right setup for me.

I play keys in a rock cover band. 90% of our gigs we run our own sound. about three years ago I built this setup to accomodate all my synth, be flexible for a multitude of setups and allow myself to monitor myself without affecting the rest of the band. For the most part it's a self contained rig.

Picture029.jpg

I took a Yamaha MG 10/2 mixer, velcroed it to a Core One Guitar Effects pedal board. Next to it I also velcroed a Samson stereo DI to provide ground lift.

When I arrive at gigs I just drop it... connect my keys to the mixer, connect XLR cables to the main mixer, and a pair of balanced to a pair of powered wedges at my feet. Total setup time 10-12 minutes... and that's if I'm not rushing.

I usually set it up this way.

Roland XP30- Dual TRS cable to Channel 9/10

Triton Extreme- Dual TRS Cable to Channel 7/8

Alesis Micron Dual TRS cable to Channel 5/6

4th synth (depending on room or mood) to Channel 3/4

MP3 Player, POD or other device- Channel 2

Vocals (I don't sing just to talk) -Channel 1

In a previous thread someone mentioned that I should/could use an isolated transformer to provide ground lift. The DI seems to work fine... and besides the ground lift it also provides the XLR outs (which my mixer doesn't have). The only draw back is the 9 volt that the DI eats every single gig. $5 per gig. Doesn't sound like much, but multiply that times 60 gigs and it's $105 a year. Cost of business I guess.

One thing I'd like to improve on is ... to be able to send a monitor feed from the FOH back to one or both of my keys amps. Recently our band went to IEM's and since then I have a hard time hearing them behind the FOH.

I don't want to over complicate things. I gig nearly every weekend nearly 8-10 times a month in the summer. If someone has a suggestion to simplfy this or produce some efficiency I'm all ears.

• Members

That pedal board looks like a nifty idea. I likes it. :thu:

What about going to a passive DI? Should work just fine and save a lot af battery $$.

What are you having trouble hearing? I don't know if they went ampless, or if you don't have a vocal monitor, or both:confused: If your amp(s) have more than one channel just plug in a feed from the main mixer if there is an aux available.

I might just copycat your setup. Maybe make it big enough to hold all my cables too.:cool:

Archived