Wah problem ...

d0zerz

• Members

I picked up this 535Q from some spam thread

...got it yesterday and I can't get it to 'wah'. The pedal is totally loose (will fall right down by gravity) and doesn't have any effect. No sweep regardless of which setting I put it on (though the knobs certainly change the tone)....the pedal just doesn't do anything.

How simple is it to git in the guts of these things? I have some basic soldering skills, one university electrical engineering course ( :rolleyes: ) ...so if it's something simple I figure I can do it.

I the pedal isn't supposed to just 'fall' ...it's supposed to stay in place right? Is this symptomatic of anything obvious? The teeth coming down from the pedal do make contact with something and spin it, but I can't see if it's actually turning whatever variable resistor is supposed to be making the wacka wacka :)

I need my wacka wacka! :D

• Members

Does the sound change at all? Sometimes wah pedals act like volume pedals if the inductor or capacitor goes bad.

If it sounds like it's bypassed, maybe it is. You could have a bad switch. Try switching it by hand by reaching under the treadle.

• Members

Originally posted by hoerni

Does the sound change at all? Sometimes wah pedals act like volume pedals if the inductor or capacitor goes bad.

If it sounds like it's bypassed, maybe it is. You could have a bad switch. Try switching it by hand by reaching under the treadle.

The sound only changes when I turn the knobs (So the on switch is working).

I'll try to check the pot to see if it's actually turning.

Thx for the suggestions.

Oh and dot-dot-dot...where should I look for the tension bar adjuster? (and what does it look like?)

Thanks again,

• Members

Ok, the Pot IS turning it seems, and I can get some almost wah-like sounds out of it....

There are still problems:

The entire range happens in the last 1/4 of the pedal's movement...and that's with the range knob at its highest.

The pedal at it's trebliest (with the knobs AND pedal position) is still muddier than when it's bypassed....like it's a tone knob all the way down all the time. ....please tell me this isn't how this pedal is supposed to behave...I mean shouldn't it sweep from treblier -> muddier? ...and shouldn't the pedal's movement do something in the entire range, not just the last 1/4?

Is this symptomatic of a bad Pot or something else :confused:

• Members

Originally posted by d0zerz

Oh and dot-dot-dot...where should I look for the tension bar adjuster? (and what does it look like?)

If you look under the rocker, there's the steel pin it rocks on. Crossing that should be a metal bar (running lengthways along the pedal) that puts pressure on the pin and therefore adds resistance to it. It attaches with a screw at one end and a nut & bolt at the other (if I remember correctly), so if you tighten the bolt it pulls the bar harder onto the pivot, if you loosen it it lets up a bit.

• Members
Originally posted by dot-dot-dot

If you look under the rocker, there's the steel pin it rocks on. Crossing that should be a metal bar (running lengthways along the pedal) that puts pressure on the pin and therefore adds resistance to it. It attaches with a screw at one end and a nut & bolt at the other (if I remember correctly), so if you tighten the bolt it pulls the bar harder onto the pivot, if you loosen it it lets up a bit.

Ah thanks :) I'll look into that once I get this wah sounding properly :mad:

• Members

the post on your pot is probably turned too far. try pulling out the teeth that come off the bottom of the wah used to turn the gear on the pot. now with the pedal plugged in and on strum your guitar and turn the pot until you find the beginning of the wah range, then re install the teeth and adjust the tension bar.

hope this helps

• Members
Originally posted by amanonfire

the post on your pot is probably turned too far. try pulling out the teeth that come off the bottom of the wah used to turn the gear on the pot. now with the pedal plugged in and on strum your guitar and turn the pot until you find the beginning of the wah range, then re install the teeth and adjust the tension bar.

hope this helps

Great suggestion! I didn't even think of that and it very well might be it.

• Members
Originally posted by amanonfire

hope this helps

Bang on! I did just this last night and it works like a charm.

...can't thank you enough :cool:

Archived