80's metal

Superleads

• Members

Usually I play into a fender metalhead. However if im going to jam with my buds in their basement I bring along my marshall 30dfx practice amp. Problem is, I find myself hauling around this amp more often than i wish, so i want to get a pedal/pedals to improve its sound (to an 80's metal sound that cuts thru the mix *with* leads that cuts thru). I know the line 6 Ubermetal has a mode on it thats supposed to have the tone of 80's metal. Is that mode any good? Also is it worth paying the extra 80/100$ for a tonebone hot british?? Maybe even an amt pedal?? I herd a soundclip of the extreme III and it sounded awsome. Don't forget the amp im gonna play it thru is a solid state. I'm playing Ozzy, Judas Priest, Iron maiden, Sabbath...

Please enlighten

• Members

I play the exact same stuff, and the thing you need (more than the Zoom Driver 5000, which is too much for 80's metal), is the Zoom HL-01 Hyper Lead!

Team it up perhaps with a nice compressor in front of it (to act like a little boost, and to nail those 80's clean comped tones), and slap a chorus (Boss CE-2 or Ibanez BC9) behind it and a good delay (Ibanez DE7, Line 6 Echo Park).

with these 4 pedals you can be as 80's as possible. Perhaps add a Boss GE-7 as lead boost (after the chorus and HL-01, but before the delay).

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Originally posted by Noak

or you could try out a boss MT2 or MD2. They are nice, and cheap.

But both NOT really voiced for the bands he describes (Maiden, Priest, Ozzy).

The Ibanez SM9 Super Metal (hard to find, and goes for $70-110 easily 2nd handed) DOES fit that niche way better.

A more creamy mid-range and a less harsh type of distortion.

Anyway,

you'd be best off with the Zoom HL-01

then the Ibanez SM9

then the Line 6 Uber Metal (which sounds miles and miles better beyond the Boss MT-2, eventhough they have the same price)

• Members
Originally posted by Speeddemon

....The Ibanez SM9 Super Metal (hard to find, and goes for $70-110 easily 2nd handed) DOES fit that niche way better.

A more creamy mid-range and a less harsh type of distortion...

the SML, which was the 10/L-series version of the SM-9, is a little cheaper way out for the same tones ;)

but still, what are the amp settings?

• Members
Originally posted by Speeddemon

Yes, but it doesn't possess the same mojo or that gorgeous blue metallic look.
;)

when one is using an SS practice amp, i dunno that that 'mojo' is gonna help too much ;)

however, remembering that the guitar is a midrange instrument will, and thats why i keep prompting for amp settings. methinks the prob is not neccessarily one that needs a pedal (let alone a $200 one) to be solved. if you see where i'm headed with this....

Archived