Strobostomp Tempered Tuning

papamaverick

• Members

And try this method of tuning:

Tune the D string to a known source

Pluck the 12th fret harmonic of the D then tune the G (fretted at the 7th fret) to this harmonic.

Pluck the same 12th fret harmonic of the D then tune the B (fretted at the 3rd fret) to this harmonic

Pluck the 12th fret harmonic of the G and tune the High E fretted at the 3rd fret to this harmonic

Tune the 12th fret harmonic of the A to the G fretted at the 2nd fret (pluck the harmonic first!)

Tune the 5th fret harmonic of the Low E to the High E open (pluck the harmonic first!)

Note: Some people don't like tuning to harmonics and your guitar needs to be well set up.

• Members

Hmmm i'll have to try that tuning method. I have a Strobostomp on the way, but I also looked into Buzz Feiten.

I'm pretty familiar with what a tempered tuning is...especially with the classical piano background (played a few of the J.S. Bach "Well-Tempered Clavier" pieces as well)

I know the difference is that the Buzz Feiten system physically shortens the scale for different strings. Just not sure how that translates.

Thanks for the responses.

• Members

Tempered tuning is out of tune by definition, and equal temperament (our frets) is the worst of all temperaments. I say get a cheap tuner, then use your ear so that you don't sound like {censored}. If you're isn't good enough to discern the difference, then you're either a beginner, or hopeless. You should only buy a strobostomp because it looks cool.

Here's a link to my favorite history of tuning, but it might be a little theory heavy. Below is choice quote from the website:

"Equal temperament - the bland, equal spacing of the 12 pitches of the octave - is pretty much a 20th-century phenomenon. It was known about in Europe as early as the early 17th century, and in China much earlier. But it wasn't used, because the consensus was that it sounded awful: out of tune and characterless."

The context here is in dealing with keyboard instruments. As I've already mentioned, fretted instruments, which have been around almost since the greeks, mark the true birth of equal temperament. After some hardcore studies in temerpament, I've found that there's really no such thing as being in tune in regards to harmony, in a "pure" sense. But by now, contemporary ears probably couldn't hear a pure intervals if it struck them in the face. That's why the strobostomp is overkill: but it looks pretty.

http://www.kylegann.com/histune.html

• Members

Originally posted by DanyoSound

If you're isn't good enough to discern the difference, then you're either a beginner, or hopeless. You should only buy a strobostomp because it looks cool.

I strongly disagree with you. First of all the strobostomp looks stupid but I don't care what it looks like.

Secondly it is the best tuner I have ever used. It is accurate. And accuracy is the whole point. It is like with any measuring device you want the most accurate one you can get.

Your logic is half baked. Cheap tuners do not work as well EVEN IF you are going to temper by ear. Using the Strobo lessens the need to temper, it does not get rid of it entirely, but it gets very near the ballpark. It takes some guesswork out and gives consistency. If you have ever played with a piano, organ, strings, etc. you know you gotta have some consistency.

I can't stand out of tune guitars, many others feel the same way - these are your potential audience members so don't insult us with the "can't tell a diff business".

Plus you can intonate and setup a guitar with a strobo, that cannot be done with a cheapy tuner.

Have you ever tried a Strobo?

Man, this gets my goat! I feel like Kestral.

• Members

BFTS changes the nut - the scale length of the guitar is physically changed on the nut end. Then the guitar is intonated with the secret offsets, then tuned with the offsets. It works but it makes for a slightly sterile sound imo. Strobo just uses slight offsets when you are tuning in tempered mode. Easier, no change to instrument, sounds almost as "perfecty" but has a little more normal tuning character imo.

Originally posted by papamaverick

How is the tempered tuning using a strobostomp different from the Buzz Feiten Tuning System?

There's gotta be some difference, cause it costs $200-$400 per guitar for the Buzz Feiten.

Inquiring minds want to know.

• Members

Originally posted by shepherdspy

I strongly disagree with you. First of all the strobostomp looks stupid but I don't care what it looks like.

Secondly it is the best tuner I have ever used. It is accurate. And accuracy is the whole point. It is like with any measuring device you want the most accurate one you can get.

Your logic is half baked. Cheap tuners do not work as well EVEN IF you are going to temper by ear. Using the Strobo lessens the need to temper, it does not get rid of it entirely, but it gets very near the ballpark. It takes some guesswork out and gives consistency. If you have ever played with a piano, organ, strings, etc. you know you gotta have some consistency.

I can't stand out of tune guitars, many others feel the same way - these are your potential audience members so don't insult us with the "can't tell a diff business".

Plus you can intonate and setup a guitar with a strobo, that cannot be done with a cheapy tuner.

Have you ever tried a Strobo?

Man, this gets my goat! I feel like Kestral.

Besides, what kind of asshat tunes unmuted by ear onstage?

• Members

Shepherd, thanks for the great info. Awesome post, really helps.

I've used strobes before, and as someone who is regularly adjusting intonation/truss rod/action/even string gauge at home, a strobe is worth the investment.

But AFIAK the strobostomp isn't actually a strobe is it?b

• Members

Originally posted by elctmist

But AFIAK the strobostomp isn't
actually
a strobe is it?

there seems to be a bit of uncertainty over this part, at least among most users of the strobo. :confused: i'd think any advanced or diff technology over say the dt-10 would be stated by peterson pretty obviously.

• Members

Originally posted by DanyoSound

I actually do use a nice digital Korg tuner on stage. Do I need a Strobostomp for 3-4 times the price? No. Does it make sense to flame over a tuner? I suggest you use the Chewbacca defense.

Huh? I'm not flaming anybody, dude. But I do feel strongly about this.

I am just tired of people dissing the best compact gtr tuner ever made, most of them without ever touching the thing. If you don't want one or think it is overpriced - fine, don't ever buy one. But don't tell other people they are just for beginners or just to look at or they don't serve their purpose.

elctmist: Hendrix was out of tune a great deal of the time live - but from his whammy use not because he couldn't tune by ear. But he was Hendrix, he could get away with it. None of us is Hendrix. :)

• Members

Originally posted by elctmist

But AFIAK the strobostomp isn't
actually
a strobe is it?b

Peterson calls it a "virtual strobe". As far as I can tell, they simulate the strobe motion in a very high resolution digital environment.

But I could care less what it is as long as it has strobe-like accuracy and response.

• Members

Peterson calls it a "virtual strobe". As far as I can tell, they simulate the strobe motion in a very high resolution digital environment.

But I could care less what it is as long as it has strobe-like accuracy and response.

someone actually posted what seemed to be a pretty good explanation awhile ago. basically that the strobostomp, tu-2, and korg dt-10 all use the same tuning mechanism, but that the korg/boss can't display intonation as accurately as the strobostomp.

• Members

Originally posted by shepherdspy

elctmist: Hendrix was out of tune a great deal of the time live - but from his whammy use not because he couldn't tune by ear. But he was Hendrix, he could get away with it. None of us is Hendrix.
:)

Yeah, I've heard plenty of Hendrix tapes, he was constantly tunning, I don't anything hugely wrong with that.

• Members

Originally posted by bucket_brigadier

someone actually posted what seemed to be a pretty good explanation awhile ago. basically that the strobostomp, tu-2, and korg dt-10 all use the same tuning mechanism, but that the korg/boss can't
display
intonation as accurately as the strobostomp.

So the display is better? Has anyone quantified if the tuner is actually more accurate as Peterson says?

Archived