Does your band jam between songs during a show?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I'm sitting here staring at my 22 minutes worth of 5 songs that I'm considering playing as a live show... and I really enjoy the set just the way it is (in terms of story and such, flowing from one song to the other). So instead of tossing in a cover song, or trying to fit in another one to make a longer set... I'm most likely going to fill in the spaces with some instrumental/jam tracks.

That got me to thinking about the fact that I have never witnessed any modern bands doing that kind of thing. The only bands that come to mind that _did_ do it... often even... are from the 60's / 70's, and then, their "in between" tracks, were actually either long intro's / outro's or songs with-in themselves.

I'm really interestd to find out how it goes over with people... because I'm definitely an alt-electronica-rock kinda kid... and I don't know anyone in my genre who does this sort of thing.

... except for maybe the Secret Machines... but they verge on jam-70's rather than alt-90's.

For clarification, I throw this topic out there to hear other's thoughts on the subject... I'm not looking for advice on what to do with my own set.

devi-

• Members

a.) 22 minutes is plenty long, unless there's only one band playing. hell, it was enough for the JAMC!

b.) improv? hm, i'd go for it. motorpsycho does that live and it beats anything on their records. they get their proverbials out live.

Guest Anonymous

Originally posted by blaghaus

I'd get more songs, or put covers in. Instrumentals are uninteresting to the audience unless they are expecting it.

Understood.

I'm planning on short transitions... and maybe one full fledged jam.

devi-

Guest Anonymous

Good call on "nothing wrong with a short show"... I've just been so used to my friend's recently trying to squeeze as much as they can out of a 45 minute time frame, when truth be told... it's usually the last half of their show that is worth seeing.

Definitely good call.

I'm still interested though in people's views on the subject.

Carry on.

devi-

• Members

Originally posted by Devi Ever

I'm sitting here staring at my 22 minutes worth of 5 songs that I'm considering playing as a live show... and I really enjoy the set just the way it is (in terms of story and such, flowing from one song to the other). So instead of tossing in a cover song, or trying to fit in another one to make a longer set... I'm most likely going to fill in the spaces with some instrumental/jam tracks.

That got me to thinking about the fact that I have never witnessed any modern bands doing that kind of thing. The only bands that come to mind that _did_ do it... often even... are from the 60's / 70's, and then, their "in between" tracks, were actually either long intro's / outro's or songs with-in themselves.

I'm really interestd to find out how it goes over with people... because I'm definitely an alt-electronica-rock kinda kid... and I don't know anyone in my genre who does this sort of thing.

... except for maybe the Secret Machines... but they verge on jam-70's rather than alt-90's.

For clarification, I throw this topic out there to hear other's thoughts on the subject... I'm not looking for advice on what to do with my own set.

devi-

you should go for it, unless your band sucks at it.

• Members

devi-

i know. i was just encouraging you to do it.

thoughts? it's cool when bands do it, but it isn't if they don't know when to stop.

Guest Anonymous

Originally posted by gethsemane

i know. i was just encouraging you to do it.

thoughts? it's cool when bands do it, but it isn't if they don't know when to stop.

I appreciate it.

devi-

• Members

I appreciate it.

devi-

if i can digress and talk about you for a moment - i definitely think it would be cool to hear even for the nonenthusiast if you're going to use your pedals. the unpredictability factor they have is nice.

• Members

if everyone in the band can pull it off, jams are cool...unfortunately, in my band the bassist and other guitarist are not of the improv mindset. So we usually do not jam much...I like playing a shorter set; the old leave 'em wanting more theory...

• Members

Originally posted by mst3k

You could always tell jokes or interesting stories between songs, but they better be funny jokes and interesting stories or you will lose them for sure.

tell a story? it would have to be about 3 sentences long. nobody is going to pay attention.

• Members
Originally posted by gethsemane

tell a story? it would have to be about 3 sentences long. nobody is going to pay attention.

Thats why I said it would have to be a really interesting story.

:D

but you are right, I personally wouldn't do it, but hey maybe Devi could.

• Members

hey devi, i say less is more...i highly approve of playing less songs and having more time to improvise, make noise, etc etc...and slowly, i shall make my lead singer understand this, even if it means knocking him out cold with my tele so he can shut up for 5 minutes :p

but seriously, it's annoying because he always wants to cram in as many songs as possible, and thats just not fun for anyone. you've got the right idea, now just do it! and let me know when/where you'll be playing :)

• Members

TMV does it all the time. Tool does it all the time. My band does it all the time. We try to have somebody playing the whole time. I glanced down at the recorder last practice and one song was around the 15 minute mark.

• Members

i saw a band in a small club once, and they were pretty good (out of four bands that played, i would rate them the 2nd best there). they played four or five songs, about 20-25 minutes worth. that was good, but then they let themselves get talked into playing one of their older songs by the audience, and it really uped the performance. it was interesting seeing them do an older song with their matured style. it was really awsome.

anyway, if you think you could pull live jamming off, then go for it.

• Members

Originally posted by blaghaus

I'd get more songs, or put covers in. Instrumentals are uninteresting to the audience unless they are expecting it.

I always like the unexpected when I go to a show. Personally I wish every local band I see would do a cool little instrumental to bridge the gaps. It's kind of lame when the bartender puts on the crappy local radio station between sets. Takes alot away from the vibe the performers are creating. Just my dumbass opinion.

• Members

My old rock band would do the whole outro/intro thang. That werks

With my industrial project I'll turn the feedback on the DrumMachine all the way up to signal a change of song. If I have to change drum machines I just let my DD-5 feedback like a skipping Cd Player. But yeah it never hurts to improvise or add to songs.

do as you may

• Members

Well, I guess I'm going to be the sole party pooper here.

I have NO problem with outros to songs, or even lengthening or instrumentalizing the intro. Both of those, if done well and soulfully, are great.

BUT, I guess I picture noodling between songs (is that what you're meaning?) and if so, then the bands that I've seen do that, it just was sloppy and dumb. I'm not going to say "unprofessional," as that's another one of my pet peeves, when folks are all like "oh, we're playing a show and we've gotta look all 'pro' and do what the 'pros' do"....I just have seen bands that do stuff like what you're suggesting and it makes THE BAND sloppy and the rest of the set suffers. So I say get as long a set as you can down great, expand those songs if you're comfortable with yourself and the band doing so, and give everyone the needed breather they deserve between tunes (band AND audience).

• Members

i will never play more than 40 minutes unless we are forced to. we usually do 8 or 9 songs, and it lasts 30 minutes.

unless you are amazing, i don't want to see anyone play for more than 45 minutes. maybe i just don't have an attention span.

Archived