Artificial Double Tracking, Vibe, Leslie sounds

papamaverick

• Members

I've played with modulation effects, but never really looked into buying any. I'm trying to find a pedal that can basically give me the modulation effects that Gilmour gets.

A univibe sound is obvious on some of his stuff (e.g. Breathe), a Leslie sound is also pretty common. He also used ADT (artificial double tracking) in the studio quite a bit...notably "Time" and the last of the three parts to "Money".

Going for cheap...I've heard the Arion is a good deal. Any suggestions?

• Members

I bought one a few years ago just to see what the buzz was about...and I only really liked it with clean sound. If I had some fuzz on, or if the unit was bypassed (still let some swirly-ness through), it kinda sucked.

It was also real dirty, suffered from the common output volume problem. I chose not to mod it, but to sell it. At some point I'll try to mod one.

But it definately didn't do any ADT sounds, and never really leslie territory.

• Members

I'm quite familiar with Gilmour's rig. He uses an original univibe in a custom housing that works with Pete Cornish's control system, a few Yamaha rotating speakers, and the ADT was off of 16-track 2" tape machines in Abbey Road (well, for DSOTM at least).

I don't have the $500 for an original univibe, a few grand for the pair of Yamaha's, or the $10k for the tape machines (not to mention those mothers are HEAVY).

All the posts on HC at the moment focus mostly on his dirt pedals and amps. I'm looking for one or two inexpensive modulation pedals that can get similar sounds. I don't care that much about authenticity, ballpark is fine as long as they sound good.

• Members

There's gotta be some people who've played enough to point me in the right direction.

I mean...finding vibe clones is easy. Doing a search for leslie-sounding pedals has been done.

The ADT thing though, and hopefully covering all these sounds in one or two pedals...help!

• Members

Originally posted by Kriegsemann

I juut got a rocktron vertago (univibe clone) in the mail. It sounds cool, and has a "fast" switch, like leslies had. Check one out.

oh, and if you check the HC reviews, you will find out the mode switch does pretty much nothing. Its true.

I had one of those. It had a lot of potential, but so noisy I couldn't use it.

A Univibe will come close to the Breathe sound, but despite rumors of Univibe use, I'm pretty sure it was a real Leslie. I've played that song using vibes and a real Leslie. The vibe was close, the Leslie nailed it.

• Members

The Pefftronics Rand-o-matic does a great job of simulating double tracking in its "Random Double" setting. Out of production and not cheap if you can find one, but I understand that they'll be back in production before too long.

Danelectro Rocky Road does a cool Leslie simulation and is very inexpensive. Check the H-C User Reviews and do the "R44" mod if you get one.

Archived