Guns 'n' Roses: whats the concensus?

blaghaus

• Members

Originally posted by BillyGrahamCracker

I'd put up the argument that it just might've been the Beasties if it isn't GnR.

hmm...the band that broke rap into the mainstream as opposed to the band that paved the way for the grunge movement. (i've started making that connection lately. its a lyric thing, and a punk attitude thing. think more AIC and Soundgarden than Nirvana.)

as for metallica, that's an entirely different matter. they didn't quite hit the mainstream until they started getting produced by Bob Rock. in other words, in 1987 my mother knew who GNR was because of "Sweet Child o' Mine". she didn't know who Metallica was because of "Master of Puppets".

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by blaghaus

ok, I'm listening to estranged. Its {censored}.

I used to love that song.

Is that the one that's like "nobody ever told ya baby how it was gonna be..."

I remember liking that one. I wonder if it would hold up if I listened to it today.

What a weird and cool time though. I was in high school and the same people I'd been in high school with that were all metal a few years back were now donning fishnet hose, flannels, doc martens, etc, and completely ignoring these records made by metal bands they used to like that were coming out (Dr. Feelgood), and rightfully so as there were bands putting out records that were just unbelievable....Jane's Addiction put out Ritual, Faith No More had come out with The Real Thing, but Use Your Illusion came out and it was the one record of those metal bands that was not ignored.

• Members
Originally posted by JETKING

the 1st 2 records really changed the way i thought about music, i was listening to alot of crap when i discovered GNR, after that i found the ramones, rose tattoo and many others

Originally posted by gethsemane

lol

i forgot to mention that i was 11yrs old

• Members

Originally posted by Thelonius

Is that the one that's like "nobody ever told ya baby how it was gonna be..."

I remember liking that one. I wonder if it would hold up if I listened to it today.

What a weird and cool time though. I was in high school and the same people I'd been in high school with that were all metal a few years back were now donning fishnet hose, flannels, doc martens, etc, and completely ignoring these records made by metal bands they used to like that were coming out (Dr. Feelgood), and rightfully so as there were bands putting out records that were just unbelievable....Jane's Addiction put out Ritual, Faith No More had come out with The Real Thing, but Use Your Illusion came out and it was the one record of those metal bands that was not ignored.

People in my school listened to bon jovi and or some such {censored}. I remember getting teased in school because Zappa had died.

• Members
Originally posted by fernmeister

Welcome to the jungle

We got fun 'n' games

We got everything you want

Honey we know the names....

HAHAHAHAHAHA... too funny...

Bunch of clowns.
:bor:

that is one seriously {censored}ed up album. read the lyrics to "appetite" all the way through one day. the man was a drugged out, paranoid psychopathic sexual predator. if i have ever heard an album that lives up to its title, it is "appetite for destruction."

• Members

So what's the verdict guys: Acoustic version of "You're Crazy" or Electric version?

{censored}, thats tough.

Acoustic has an ace solo. Electric has the half time bits that just {censored}in rock like {censored}.

Listening to the acoustic just as you posted that.

• Members
Originally posted by fernmeister

Welcome to the jungle

We got fun 'n' games

We got everything you want

Honey we know the names....

HAHAHAHAHAHA... too funny...

Bunch of clowns.
:bor:

I'm dissapointed. You're getting soft in your old age.

Back in the day you'd have bypassed Jungle and gone straight in for the gold:

they're out to get me
They won't catch me
I'm {censored}in' innocent
So you can suck me

:D

But in all fairness there's lots of classic albums by classic bands, a lot moreso than guns n' roses whose lyrics just don't hold up to scrutiny outside of the context of the music.

WE GONNA GO....WALKIN' THROUGH THE PARK..EVERY DAY

• Members

they're out to get me

They won't catch me

So you can suck me

i never liked that tune because of the lyrics, i couldn't relate. but of course i can't relate. i've never done that many drugs and been that paranoid to think that "its so easy" would be a great second tune on an album.

• Members

they're out to get me

They won't catch me

So you can suck me

But in all fairness there's lots of classic albums by classic bands, a lot moreso than guns n' roses whose lyrics just don't hold up to scrutiny outside of the context of the music.

SEEEE MEEEE HIT YOU
YOU FAL DOW-OW-OW-OWN

• Members
Originally posted by jcn37203

Once they started working with orchestras and {censored}, it was dead.

But Appetite was the bomb.

I mean, just balls out rock and {censored}-you roll.

My Michelle.
Listen to that bass tone! SPITEFUL SONG!
They are missed....Balls and attitude!
:thu:

• Members

Originally posted by blaghaus

I'm not sure about that, I think you'd find someone like the Pixies might get that accolade. I'm not a big fan of the pixies btw. I just think once grunge came in, it killed GNR and its ilk.

This reminds me of something very interesting a Professor of mine once said. This was my History of Rock and Roll class freshman year, and we were talking about hair metal dying and grunge coming in and his argument was that while most people saw Nirvana as the big mainstream band that killed hair metal, he thought it was really Guns n Roses.

His arguments was that while GnR didn't look too much different they were an important departure because they moved the subject matter away from purely partying and decadence, and because they were a return to blues-based music.

He was sort of a metal scholar and always made the point that metal was the first popular music in along time to be influenced by non-blues based music (classical stuff) and was really focused on virtuosity and the like.

So when Gnr came out they were sort of went against that as and acted as a stepping stone to the even more stripped down music that came with grunge.

• Members

Originally posted by tommyn

This reminds me of something very interesting a Professor of mine once said. This was my History of Rock and Roll class freshman year, and we were talking about hair metal dying and grunge coming in and his argument was that while most people saw Nirvana as the big mainstream band that killed hair metal, he thought it was really Guns n Roses.

His arguments was that while GnR didn't look too much different they were an important departure because they moved the subject matter away from purely partying and decadence, and because they were a return to blues-based music.

He was sort of a metal scholar and always made the point that metal was the first popular music in along time to be influenced by non-blues based music (classical stuff) and was really focused on virtuosity and the like.

So when Gnr came out they were sort of went against that as and acted as a stepping stone to the even more stripped down music that came with grunge.

makes a lot of sense. I just wonder how direct that correlation was.

• Members

they're out to get me

They won't catch me

So you can suck me

sure it is not my strongest critique. however, guns and roses are so unrelentingly poor and assinine that I am loathe to put in any more effort on this one.

:)

• Members

GNR were huge when I was in high school (I'm 34). But at that time, I was so far into the punk world that I didn't even notice bands like that. I lumped it in with the other commercial music I didn't listen to, and it had no real effect on me or my guitar playing at all.

But I am now married to someone five years younger than me, and she was really into GNR back then. So I've been forced to hear it again, and damn if "Axl" Rose's voice doesn't make me want to jump through a window. Screeching, nasal, whiny at times...it's like the DOD Supra Distortion of human voices. I can't get past his singing to even pay attention to the actual music. I'm sure Slash is a good guitar player and all; it's just hard for me to hear him with that voice in front of him.

Archived