not to seem like an idiot....

jumpduck

• Members

I've been looking into noise reduction lately. I use a number of stomp-boxes, and I'm wondering if anybody has ideas as to the best way to reduce the buzz, hum, hiss, whatever, with the least effect on signal, since all these devices in the chain are no doubt sucking my signal anyway. I play in a situation where I must have many different sounds at my disposal, and I just can't seem to master multi-effects processors. Plus, I like my analog boxes.

Any advice appreciated, thanks, fellas.:cool:

• Members
Originally posted by jumpduck

I've been looking into noise reduction lately. I use a number of stomp-boxes, and I'm wondering if anybody has ideas as to the best way to reduce the buzz, hum, hiss, whatever, with the least effect on signal, since all these devices in the chain are no doubt sucking my signal anyway. I play in a situation where I must have many different sounds at my disposal, and I just can't seem to master multi-effects processors. Plus, I like my analog boxes.

Any advice appreciated, thanks, fellas.
:cool:

you're not telling us what you have...

• Members
Originally posted by Cow4prez

you're not telling us what you have...

Sorry, I have a TS-9 I use for big soaring leads, a DOD stereo chorus, a BD-2 strictly for clean boost, and an old TS-10 for my distorted rythmn work. I put an old Dunlop Cry-baby in the chain as needed, This all goes to a 78 Fender Princeton reverb, which is run at low(2-3) volume for a basic clean sound.

The big problem comes up with the overdrives, as they tend to hum when they're engaged, but I'm not pushing signal through them.
I just figured you guys would know if a suppressor or a noise gate would be best, and maybe which one. I'm pretty limited as to my ability to shop around.

Thank you again for your advice. :cool:

• Members

i suppose a noise gate would do it for ya. if you're tight on space, go for the Guyatone NS-2. if not, a lot of people use the Boss.

you could get amp modeler, and use the gate in that. it'd also open you up to some extras you could just add to your sound. i have the tiny Korg Toneworks modeler ($50 at Musician's Friend), and i just set it on top of my amp, set it to noise gate, and plug my rig into that (instead of my amp), and then from there into my amp. works great for me, and it's cheaper than most gates out there.

Archived