Help me figure out Gilmour's solo on "Time"

papamaverick

• Members

CD version. My setup is as follows:

Strat --> London --> DD-20 --> Deluxe Reverb RI

The fuzz face sound is obvious...I believe he was using the silicon version, my London is germanium. Fuzz is cranked, volume to taste.

I have the DD-20 set for tape delay of 458 ms (exactly one quarter note of the song tempo) which after much listening is what I hear on the original song. I have the feedback set to give one reasonable loud delay and then fade off quickly.

My amp is running pretty clean, volume 3, treble 7 and bass anywhere from 2-5. Reverb is on and pretty high.

www.gilmourish.com and some other sites believe that a univibe is being used. I either can't hear it or it's real subtle. There is a lot of phasey-sound stuff going on though. Not sure if that's an effect or technique. Maybe artificial double-tracking (ADT) like in the third part of the "Money" solo? Any help here?

He also gets these incredible squeals, most notably on the high notes. I cannot seem to figure out how he does it. They're not like the squeal that starts Comfortably Numb...but something a little less harmonic-y and more throaty. Feedback maybe?

Amazing solo. "Comfortably Numb" caused me to be a Gilmour freak but this is very possibly better.

• Members

Originally posted by papamaverick

Oh and one other thing...around 3:46 it's almost like a second, dryer, more open sound comes in and stays until roughly 4:27 of the solo. I'm guessing it's the meshing of two different takes, but it's interesting.

For reference, solo starts at 3:30

I wasn't messing you know. Gilmour would record at unbelievable volumes.

• Members

I do know that Roger Waters mentioned that he was playing everything really loud. I wonder if the amp wasn't adding some of its own grit to the sound.

it depends on whether he was using the hiwatts. you have to get into eardrum breaking volumes for that to dirt up.

• Members

Probably my favorite solo to play.

There's no Univibe. In parts of the song, the delay signal actually sounds louder than his original note. As to the sound of the high notes, when you're set up right, that's just what they sound like. I don't think he's doing anything unusual.

• Members

Anyone know how he got those squeals on the high notes?

He used a 24-fret, double humbucker Lewis guitar on the solo. With the right amount of gain, reverb, and delay, the squeals pretty much come naturally.

Uh oh...I might be thinking about the 'Money' solo.

• Members

Originally posted by jimihalen

He used a 24-fret, double humbucker Lewis guitar on the solo. With the right amount of gain, reverb, and delay, the squeals pretty much come naturally.

Uh oh...I might be thinking about the 'Money' solo.

Yup, although both are similar in sound.

Archived