ProCo Rat

Woodstock1969

• Members

I have a turbo rat.

Awesome for rhythm distortion, especially on stage. Good crunch, lacking in individual note definition however.

For lead playing I would look elsewhere or boost it with an OD or something.

• Members

Originally posted by Travis W Lyon

Your opinion...especially respond if you play though a tube amp.

-I play a Deucetone through a Marshall Jubilee and a Mesa Mark IV. It sounds great. I can't dial in a bad tone with either the Vintage Rat, Dirty Rat, Turbo Rat or Clean Rat settings.

PM me if you have further questions on it.

• Members

Originally posted by meep

I have a turbo rat.

Awesome for rhythm distortion, especially on stage. Good crunch, lacking in individual note definition however.

For lead playing I would look elsewhere or boost it with an OD or something.

-If you go with the Deucetone, you can boost it with itself, using Channel A that Cascades into Channel B. As for note definition, lower the distortion and boost the volume to get more note definition, plus the less bassier your tone is the clearer it is. I actually find it to be very clear compared to other distortion/fuzz's I've used. Sure its not as clear as an overdrive like a TS-9, but that's kinda expected.

• Members

SD-1 and Rat are two totally different animals. The SD-1 never struck my fancy, so I sold mine...but I always kinda thought it was like a tube screamer with no balls.

The Rat is bright, mid-heavy Marshall-like distortion (at least it sounds that way through my Fender Deluxe Reverb). It will give you heavy & gainy but not brutal.

But you said you're looking for a booster? The Rat is a distortion pedal through and through; the Keeley mod apparantly can turn it into a clean boost, but I'd never use it for that stock.

Your JCM800 should rock all my itself if you can get the volume up enough. Set it to just before breakup, and then use a clean boost to push it harder. If you have it set totally clean and can't push it to breakup volumes, then I'd try the Rat.

Archived