slightly OT: jaguar vs. jazzmaster

vanguard

• Members

Originally posted by vanguard

so i'm trading some stuff for either a 60's jaguar or a 60's jazzmaster; both sunburst. what are the pros and cons of each instrument, and which would you choose?

ps, does anyone know which kevin shields prefered?

KS played both.

the jag has better shielding and so less hum.

the JM has hotter and possibly zingier pickups.

• Members

Originally posted by vanguard

so i'm trading some stuff for either a 60's jaguar or a 60's jazzmaster; both sunburst. what are the pros and cons of each instrument, and which would you choose?

ps, does anyone know which kevin shields prefered?

Jazzmaster if I remember rightly. But you shouldn't let that influence your judgement.

So here goes:

Have you used a strat or a tele before? If you prefer the sound of the tele go for the Jaguar. The Jazzmaster is more mellow and can even sound like a Rickenbacker or a semi in some settings. A Jaguar always has a wirey edge, even with the bassy settings.

Do you have large or small hands? Large hands favor the Jazzmaster, small the Jaguar, because it has a smaller scale.

Do you play a lot of chords? Jaguar is nice for chords, you can reach a lot of grips you can't on a full scale.

Do you play a lot of lead? Jazzmaster is slightly better for lead, as its not as cramped above the 12th fret.

Jazzmaster is slightly easier to use live, but only slightly, and they both have more controls than a standard tele.

Do you use a lot of fuzz pedals. Jaguar is better with fuzz, the pickups are less noisy than a Jazzmaster, and the treble switch makes for some interesting sounds, particularly with a Fuzz Factory/Probe.

My choice is a Jag, but I like both. And Kevin uses a Mosrite these days anyway.

• Members

Originally posted by troubbble

Adding better shielding is as simple as lining the innards with copper tape stuff...right? And it wouldn't mess with the condition of it because you can just pull it off...right?

Just something to think about, I hope.

right. just make sure everything you do is reversible so as not to affect a vintage guitar (or its value).

see this site for shielding:

http://www.guitarnuts.com/wiring/menu.php

• Members

Originally posted by elctmist

Kevin uses a Mosrite these days anyway.

someone who worked with mbv at the time posted this on the fdp...

Guitars - The white MIJ Jaguar sported the elongated scrathplate because Kevin installed a strat trem on it, it didn't work and played like sh*t so it was removed.

CAR Jazzmaster - Neck date, pots, internal routing, dot marker all point to 1958...only the transition logo says it is not.

Sunburst Jag 1965 - Used live for one song only 'Soon', due to how Kevin recorded the guitars for Soon in the studio he need a guitar that sounded a certain way. This Jag has a split along the 2 halves of the body join, hence it doesn't quite 'ring' properly....but it was perfect for Soon

Also had 2 other MIJ Seymour Duncan PU's and a series of Cap / resistors were installed which were designed to limit the frequency of the PU's

Also, the MBV rig on Guitargeek is not at all accurate.

• Members

Originally posted by (((echo)))

someone who worked with mbv at the time posted this on the fdp...

Guitars - The white MIJ Jaguar sported the elongated scrathplate because Kevin installed a strat trem on it, it didn't work and played like sh*t so it was removed.

CAR Jazzmaster - Neck date, pots, internal routing, dot marker all point to 1958...only the transition logo says it is not.

Sunburst Jag 1965 - Used live for one song only 'Soon', due to how Kevin recorded the guitars for Soon in the studio he need a guitar that sounded a certain way. This Jag has a split along the 2 halves of the body join, hence it doesn't quite 'ring' properly....but it was perfect for Soon

Also had 2 other MIJ Seymour Duncan PU's and a series of Cap / resistors were installed which were designed to limit the frequency of the PU's

Also, the MBV rig on Guitargeek is not at all accurate.

I saw them live a couple of times. KS seemed to stick with Jazzmasters live and Belinda used the Jags and later a Charvel Surfcaster.

• Members

I like the Jaguar better for two reasons:

1) It has the smaller scale neck (24' versus 25.5 in Jazzmasters and Stratocasters)

2) The metal pieces make it sparkle onstage. So beautiful.

Whichever you get, I recommend replacing the bridge with a Mustang bridge. No modification is required to do it. Jag/Jazz bridges suck, and make the guitar go out of tune pretty quickly.

• Members

But seriously don't pick one or the other because of what Shields played. The MBV sound is like the indie version of the Edge's sound -- its played out, used up, dead and gone -- and you can get it out of a bunch of other guitars anyway, like the Epi Firebird with trem bar for instance. Jags & Jazzes have many other sounds to recommend them.

• Members

Originally posted by DanyoSound

Whichever you get, I recommend replacing the bridge with a Mustang bridge. No modification is required to do it. Jag/Jazz bridges suck, and make the guitar go out of tune pretty quickly.

i was quick to jump on the mustang bandwagon a few years back and put them on both of my cij's but with my new one i replaced the t-o-m that someone stupidly installed and found a av jazz/jag bridge and upped my string gauge and i think i'll definitely stick with this bridge.. i think the mustang bridge robs the guitar of some of it's best qualities sound wise.. it was really a night and day difference between the jazz/jag bridge and the t-o-m

i vote for the jazzmaster... whatever it is about the guitar i just love it. the jags i've played never felt right to me and i've got average sized hands, maybe even a tad bit on the smaller side fwiw

• Members

Originally posted by (((echo)))

i was quick to jump on the mustang bandwagon a few years back and put them on both of my cij's but with my new one i replaced the t-o-m that someone stupidly installed and found a av jazz/jag bridge and upped my string gauge and i think i'll definitely stick with this bridge.. i think the mustang bridge robs the guitar of some of it's best qualities sound wise.. it was really a night and day difference between the jazz/jag bridge and the t-o-m

Depends, if you play hard, I'd go the mustang route. I kept knocking the 12-54 set on my Jag off center til I went to the Mustang bridge.

• Members

my buddy used to play a JagStang (pos, but I digress...)

we were recording and the engineer thought we should try his Jazzmaster instead of the JagStang.

Buddy sez: I don't want to hurt it, I play pretty rough.

Engineer sez: Hurt it!?! This hear's a man's guitar!!

and then he bounced his prize instrument off the floor.

Ever since then, I've been more and more impressed with the tone and feel of the Jazzmaster.

It's a classic I wished I owned. Not so with the Jaguar (nor Mustang, not Jagstang...)

• Members

has more punch(longer scale gives it more tension which hits yer amp harder... )
I didn't like 10 gauge strings , but my 11 gauge sets are played in E flat, otherwise they're pretty unbendable(surf music!).

Jaguars seem too wimpy.. but kevin stilll uses one(red I think) I got pics.

I've got a roller bridge I beileve its called, not bad.. don't think it'll pop right into a vintage bridge posts unfortunately.

• Members

Originally posted by Diabolus_in_Musica

has more punch(longer scale gives it more tension which hits yer amp harder... )

Nah, simply not true, pickups etc are far more important. Otherwise Fenders would be louder than Gibsons and that mostly isn't the case.

'63 Jags seem to have especially hot, dark pickups, the same may be true for jazzes

• Members

I used to own a Jag for 4 years, and then graduated to Jazzmasters...I find them more comfortable. (I'm 6ft 3", and have large hands too)

basicaly, I'd say try both.

you know...there's a possibility you don't like either of them.....

as far as the mustang bridge goes, again...first shim the neck, put heavy strings on (at least 11s on the Jazzmaster...12s on the Jag) and then see if you need to change the bridge.

what I'm saying is, I've played these guitars for years, and never had problems with them once they were setup the way they were made to be setup.

I've been on the FDP Jazzmaster/Jag side for years, and the people that I've heard of having problems with them usualy either have them setup badly, or they don't know how to set them up (shims, string gauges etc) or they just have a very heavy attack on the strings.

my Jazzmasters:

64+67.jpg

Archived