and the winner is: BossCS3??!!.....

• Members

i've been on a compressor hunt for about 2-3 years to help squeeze out some fingerstyle country-esque lines and the occasional "funk in E" jam....the last one that almost made the grade was an Analogman minibicomp. I really liked the OS side, but the Ross was too transparent for what i wanted...'same thing with the Keeley...but don't get me wrong, they are excellent pedals.....i just don't use the "turn it on, leave it on" approach with compressors. I want them as an effect...soooooo i came across my old Boss compressor that i bought in, like, '95 (and thought i lost years ago) and guess what (?)...the damn thing actually did the job!!! NOT TOO CLEAN, NOT TRANSPARENT, but definitely "clucky" and "plucky".....I can see why most compression freaks hate this pedal, but for my needs...........well...........

• Members

ever tried an EMMA TransMorgrifier? I have only heard one briefly but if you want an "effecty" comp ive heard none more "out there" if you have the settings right. at more sedate settings you will get the more transparent, not a 'leave it on' type though by any stretch. im on the hunt for one right now...

• Members

I hate to be a nasty bugger but I think the CS-3 is horrid. It is very sterile sounding with a too metallic ring to it...it really takes away the sound of the guitar. I do however agree that most people don't like this pedal and I am happy that you found a decent match for what you want.

• Members

Originally posted by jonny guitar

I hate to be a nasty bugger but I think the CS-3 is horrid. It is very sterile sounding with a too metallic ring to it...it really takes away the sound of the guitar. I do however agree that most people don't like this pedal and I am happy that you found a decent match for what you want.

+1.

If you want a nice sounding comp for country/funk effects, get a pre-LED MXR Dynacomp or a Boss CS-2. They smooth out the harsh top-end of a Strat's brigde pickup.

Boss CS-3 is too bright, although that might work with humbuckers. But why would you want to play 'classic' country or funk with humbuckers? :rolleyes:

• Members

Thanks for the info, guys. While i would love to try another comp, cash is so tight right now (i had moved from Providence to New Orleans 12 days before Katrina and relocated to Athens, GA) And i actually agree with the previous post---the CS3 is, in fact, pretty horrid sounding for probably 99% (ok, maybe that's a bit harsh) of applications.....but somehow that 1% that it works for is exactly what i needed it to do...it baffles me, too! Maybe i'll get to try out the Emma one day,.... or maybe this is just a passing phase and i'll ride it out

• Members

Originally posted by jonny guitar

I hate to be a further downer, but technically 668 is the Neighbour of the Beast. 667 would be the across the street neighbour of the beast which doesn't really carry the same weight in terms of Evil. :D

• Members

Originally posted by sh333

I hate to be a further downer, but technically 668 is the Neighbour of the Beast. 667 would be the across the street neighbour of the beast which doesn't really carry the same weight in terms of Evil.
:D

I was thinking the exact same thing.

I live on '18', my neighbours are 16 and 20.

Is there a short word in English for "across-the-street-neighbour" by the way?

In Dutch there is.

Neighbour = Buurman (there's no UU sound in English, so I can't write it down phonetically.)

across-the-street-neighbour = Overbuurman.

• Members

Originally posted by Speeddemon

I was thinking the exact same thing.

I live on '18', my neighbours are 16 and 20.

Is there a short word in English for "across-the-street-neighbour" by the way?

In Dutch there is.

Neighbour = Buurman (there's no UU sound in English, so I can't write it down phonetically.)

across-the-street-neighbour = Overbuurman.

Yeah...there was a actually a cool record by My Dog Popper from Montreal called "668 the neighbour of the Beast".

Cool, I am totally going to try and work both of those new words into my daily verbiage :D

:wave:

Hi Buurman

• Members

Originally posted by sh333

Yeah...there was a actually a cool record by My Dog Popper from Montreal called "668 the neighbour of the Beast".

Cool, I am totally going to try and work both of those new words into my daily verbiage
:D

:wave:

Hi Buurman

try to pronounce it like "Boormuhn" or "Boorm

• Members

Originally posted by 667

Damn! Da wit 'round heah is honed to a razors edge today, boys.....'thanks for the astute observations

It is very cool that me and Speeddemon will be the only ones who know how cool your sig really is! :D

• Members

All this info just from a post about the crappy CS3!.........wait till i post how awesome i think the DOD Grunge pedal into Dano Sitar Swami combo is!!!! (always run into a ss Gorilla combo, of course)LOL....we'll all be fluent in Dutch by next week!;)

Archived