I just keep coming back to my Boss Blues Driver!

Humbucker

• Members

I just keep coming back to my Boss Blues Driver!

I've got many good overdrive pedals but the Boss BD-2 is probably one of the most amp-like stompers out there. I've done a few mods to it as suggested on Robert Keeley's website and for me, it's the least fake sounding OD pedal that I've tried so far, and it was pretty cheap too since I bought it secondhand in mint condition.

I A/B the BD-2 with the drive channel of my Peavey Classic 50/410 combo, retubed with JJ tubes and the Blues Driver sounds as real as the amp's crunch. And the BD-2 is so dependent on where your guitar's volume knob is set, which makes it very touch sensitive and super dynamic.

Way to go Boss!

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by mrbluetone

I love my Keeley BD-2 it gets a lot of work around my amp.

Another sleeper Boss has for sale still is the OD-3..I really think they did a good job on that one..very smooth!

What are the differences? Does the BD-2 have more mids?

• Members

Originally posted by Boron

What are the differences? Does the BD-2 have more mids?

Actually the BD-2 seems to be one of the least mid heavy overdrives, that's why people call it transparent. But it is not midscooped.

Mine actually sounded Marshally in a way, but really early JTM45 Marshally. It is pretty different from other pedals.

• Members

I agree with everything that shepherdspy said.

What's funny, I've kinda tried to not like the lowly BD-2 because it's a Boss right!?

But I always seem to go back to it, it just sounds so tube-like. I find if it sounds too fuzzy and woofy/bassy, just lower the guitar's volume knob a pinch.

This pedal is a winner IMHO.

• Members

The thing that impresses me the most about the BD-2 is the fact that it doesn't mess with your guitar's natural clean tone. All the other OD pedals that I've tried added something a little bit fake sounding and really messing with the EQ, like rolling off low end.

The BD-2 just adds a nice crunch to the guitar's tone and sounds so real and natural, like a good tube amp. Roll back the volume knob on the guitar a little and it cleans right up and doesn't get all dull sounding, the highs are still present. Try that on most OD pedals and see what happens, yuk!

• Members

I'm in love with my Keeley SD-1 Super Overdrive. Keeley just does amazing things to pedals. It feels like you're playing 100% clean because of the awsome pick attack, but with the sustain of an amps gain dimed, but with a blues sound. If that makes any sense ;) .

I'm sure Keeleys Blues Driver is just as good. They are a great pedal stock. Actually, Boss makes some fine OD's all around. Just not a fan of their all out distortions.

• Members

I installed a mini toggle switch for Phat boost on my BD-2 as is found on the Keeley modded BD-2. I don't use it much but it sure could come in handy if you're using a thin sounding Strat etc.

I also replaced a capacitor in the tone control to lower the treble to a more useable level.

BTW, doing some of these mods can be a little tricky if you're a novice like me but if you take your time, it's definately worth it. On a side note, I ended up going back to the stock .047uF input cap, I found that putting in a .1uF cap as described by Keeley was just too darn bass-heavy for me.

• Members

Originally posted by my88keys

Absolutely love mine. And I also have a Peavey (Delta Blues). ;)Can get a little shrill, though, if you're not careful with yer tone knob.

I used to own both a Peavey Delta Blues 1x15 and a Keeley Blues Driver. GREAT STUFF! :thu: OK, yes, I did sell them, but only to buy a Nano amp.

I'm very sure some of you will think I'm crazy, but my recollection of the BD-2 was fonder than that of the Zim, a super overdrive that I recently sold. (To buy a Paradox in '06, BTW!) I really, really like the BD-2, it had an awesome tube-like growl. All the Keeley pedals I've tried have had some kind of affect giving more presence or dynamics or 'good' high-end -- I don't really know what it is, but it's great.

And just like you say, it took away the worst aspect of the stock BD-2... the ice-pick-in-the-head shrillness. The Keeley modded pedal had nothing but great sounds!! Someday I will probably buy another, or look into the upcoming Keeley Tonestation (??name).

BTW, I haven't met a tubescreamer or clone that I've really loved. I suppose 'transparent' overdrives are my thing.

Later,

-- Joe

• Members

Originally posted by Hemispheres

I have two Keeley Freak Fuzz Mod BD-2s and I love them.
:)

Are these pedals like the Phat Keeley BD-2 + some fuzz madness?? Or are they really different than the Phat Keeley BD-2 at all settings?

I've never had a good fuzz pedal, and loved the Keeley BD-2, so this might be a good choice for me.

-- Joe

• Members

I love my Keeley BD-2.

Best OD that I've ever played & also the only pedal that I've ever used to bludgeon someone to death. It was a bitch getting all the blood & hair out of it, though. They should make these things waterproof for easy cleanup. I mean, a guy never knows when he's going to pick up a little hottie, get her back to his place, let things get hot n' heavy, then have her pull a knife & threaten to slice his wang bar off if he doesn't give her all his cash and the only thing he has laying around to reap vengence with is a BD-2.

Ya know?

~MkF!

"Mister, what's a schlong?!"

• Members

I have a BD-2 that's been modded by Doobtone. It's an exact copy of the Keeley, but with the added benefit of an Si/Ge switch for more tonal variety. Plus, it has the Fat switch. I dunno... I have mad respect for the tone, but it's too crunchy for me - like, too amp-like, make sense? And, it's too transparent... I wanted something that would roll off the highs a bit and boost the mids. This thing is as true as true can be to your original equilization. This is a pro for most, but a con for me, because my amp only has a tone knob and not separate EQ controls. A real winner, but not a keeper.

• Members

Originally posted by MonkeyKnifeFighter

I love my Keeley BD-2.

Best OD that I've ever played & also the only pedal that I've ever used to bludgeon someone to death. It was a bitch getting all the blood & hair out of it, though. They should make these things waterproof for easy cleanup. I mean, a guy never knows when he's going to pick up a little hottie, get her back to his place, let things get hot n' heavy, then have her pull a knife & threaten to slice his wang bar off if he doesn't give her all his cash and the only thing he has laying around to reap vengence with is a BD-2.

Ya know?

Hey man, we've all been there...:cry:

• Members

I just bought the Keeley BD-2 yesterday and i'm lovin it so far...i needed a good "on all the time soft OD" and it does a pretty good job of it....

Funny thing is, i'm not trying to do this, but right now i have my volume pedal going into a Keeley BD-2, Keeley 808, and into a Keeley Comp...

man, what have i done?!?!

***also, i'm curious how it's gonna sound compared to the ODR-1 i just ordered and the soon coming Timmy...

-john

Archived