The Nobels ODR-1

Spydog1985

• Members

the originals are the exact same thing as the reissues. In fact, there not reissues. Just the ones imported to the states weren't green, and now all of them are green.

the odr1 is an awesome overdrive. Even better is the the 10th anniversary one with the boost switch.

• Members

Originally posted by Spydog1985

i'm strarting to hear that these are wonderful transparent oeverdrives for the buck.....any opinions on these?

Also, i'm hearing that they've been reissued and that the originals are much better? is that just vintage hype? what do ya'll think?

-john

I have one and it's a great sounding overdrive. It sounds good with a little bit of gain dialed in all the way to the max. the "spectrum" knob is more of a midrange control than a high end roll-off. it also has tons of volume available. you could use it as just a boost if you wanted.

But I disagree with the term transparent when talking about this pedal. I think of transparent being that you could find a setting on the pedal where you couldn't tell if it was on or bypassed. I have a Gainster that you can do that with. this pedal adds bass. that's one of the things I liked about it. I was sick of pedals that took away a little bass. I'm using a Reverend Hellhound combo now and it doesn't seem to like the added bass. I'll probably hold on to the pedal because it can probably be modded for less bass and I can always use it with other amps.

It's still my favorite overdrive ever.

• Members

Originally posted by wacopacco

the originals are the exact same thing as the reissues. In fact, there not reissues. Just the ones imported to the states weren't green, and now all of them are green.

the odr1 is an awesome overdrive. Even better is the the 10th anniversary one with the boost switch.

Are you talking about two versions of the ODR-1?

Or do you mean that the ODR-1 is the same as the ODR-S?

• Members

The ODR-1 is excellent. One of the top overdrives, not just because of the price.

There are two versions. One is green, one is silver with a green label. The current production silver version sounds the same as the green one.

The first run of silver ones had problems. They were not like the green ones and were not good. A fellow forumite suggested (a while back) that they seem to have inadvertently switched the drive and volume pots. You can identify one of these "bad" silver ones by its tone - it's not just "slightly different" from the green one, it has almost no gain, and if you turn the gain below max, it sounds like sludge. They seem to have corrected this, as I have a silver ODR-1 in front of me that sounds just like the green ones that I have in a box somewhere.

The ODR-S is similar to the ODR-1. It has the same basic tone, but has a three band eq that you can play with. This two has been made in green and silver, but I cannot comment as to their fungibility, as I only have the green version and have never tried the silver version.

The anniversary model ODR-1 is really excellent. It has an additional gain boost switch which ups the gain and the bass, and sounds fantastic.

here is a clip. http://www.inrerocknroll.com/tunes/ODRBobl.mp3

Archived