With_teeth guitar tones.

24 Standard

• Members

Hey all.

I know everyone here knows what they like, but this is a question that doesnt need opinion, but an answer of fact -

Anyone know what kind of fuzzes are used on NIN's new record?

I can tell that Reznor uses a lot more live gear this time around, and a lot of the guitar tones dont sound very POD-ish nor GuitarRig-like....

anyone know where to get that thick-ass fuzz on a lot of the tracks?

i.e. The Collector/Getting Smaller.

thanks

• Members

Originally posted by 24 Standard

Hey all.

I know everyone here knows what they like, but this is a question that doesnt need opinion, but an answer of fact -

Anyone know what kind of fuzzes are used on NIN's new record?

I can tell that Reznor uses a lot more live gear this time around, and a lot of the guitar tones dont sound very POD-ish nor GuitarRig-like....

anyone know where to get that thick-ass fuzz on a lot of the tracks?

i.e. The Collector/Getting Smaller.

thanks

he used a vetta2, guitar rig, and prolly some pod.

he also took Native instruments REAKTOR and ran it into an amp (diezel vh4) and mic'd it.

reaktor can be used to make synths and other weird processes.

a fuzz factory is also cool to use

• Members
Originally posted by TrashFace

what? to get those tones just get a nice base tone going into a comp, usually with a modeler direct and then process with izotope trash or something like that.
:idea:

No no no; I meant that I am sad when I think of that album.

It is bad, in so many ways. :(

• Members

i think the thing about trent reznors guitars sounds no one said, is good luck re-creating it. i remember reading what he did to guitar signals back then and now he's up'd that.

i've seen photos of some guitar pedals he uses for fuzz in a studio shot thought: fuzz factory, way huge swollen pickle, and that cheap zoom pedal, plus about a hundred more fuzzes/distortion units.

• Members

"A lot of the sounds were miked. Even if it was a synth line, it might go through a speaker cabinet to give it the impression of it being played. We used guitar and bass, and we would go from the instruments right into the DI box and then into Reaktor, where we had made a couple of patches that were like an elaborate guitar switchboard all made up of filters and various types of different distortions. Very few things were chopped up in Pro Tools. A lot of it was entire verses or phrases."

"For a large portion of what we did, we treated Reaktor like a guitar pedal, like the ultimate distortion box. Instead of having an array of pedals on the floor, a lot of the pedals became virtual in Reaktor. We went out of Reaktor into the amp head for most of the record. Running it through a real guitar amp and miking it up brought it back to sounding less like science fiction and more like real world. Some of the sounds were like "Wow, I haven't used it that way before". We had a lot of flexibility in the tone."

"Well, eventually Guitar Rig worked its way into the process. Sometimes we'd make a very clean patch that only utilized the amp simulators or different arrays of speakers and then take whatever we might be using as the front head and run it through the amp simulator in Guitar Rig. In the studio we had two Apple G5's, one running Pro Tools hosting Guitar Rig, and the other one with Logic hosting Reaktor, so we could suck as much horse power as we needed and then just digitally transfer it to the computer with the main Pro Tools system. We didn't swamp the computer too much, but those were two instruments that kept coming back up. Even most of the synths on the record this time around were made or edited with these tools. What I wanted was a low tech sound, the opposite of what "Fragile" was loaded with."

Archived