Korg Kaoss pad

The_Spice

• Members

I watched a Radiohead concert on showtime last night and saw Jonny Greenwood making all sorts of awesome freak out noises with one of these... copycat syndrome kicked in immediately and now I feel like owning one will complete my life or something like that. Damn you Greenwood!

Anyways, have any of you guys ever used one of these with a guitar? Is it easy to record yourself with it and then do all of the freak out stuff (I am assuming that is how it works for the most part)?

I read through some of the reviews in the database for it, and while I liked what I read, most of the users were DJ's or keyboard players, and I wasn't sure if the reviews would be as positive coming from a guitar player. All input on this thing is appreciated, I feel stupid lusting after a $300 noise box.

• Members

I used to use one on my trumpet. Never tried it with guitar, but I assume it'd be about the same. Better, probably, because it'll take a line in instead of a mic (with the associated noise). It's basically a multi efx processor/loop sampler/synth. You can

1. add delay or reverb or flange, etc (not multiple efx at the same time though)

2. record a loop and I think you can speed it up/slow it down/reverse it (I'll go and check on that)

3. use the built-in synth sounds.

I'm thinking that the "freakout" you refer to was actually #3, that's the freakiest thing you can do with it ... it takes no input on the synth settings, it's just basically a tone generator where your finger controls parameters like pitch, lfo frequency and rate, your basic freakout parameters. It's good for that.

Archived