I'm taking my alcohol with me to gigs from now on.

riffdaddy

• Members

I had the unusual situation of having a full weekend off, so I went around to hear other bands. I spent a schittload on alcohol, but didn't even get close to drunk. From now on I'm taking a 375mL of whiskey or rum to all my gigs. I'm not paying for this shit anymore. :mad:

• Members

Originally posted by Kriegsemann

but how well do you play drunk?

does it add or subtract from your mojo?

I have one drink before each set. I like to be loose, not drunk. I actually sing pretty good when I'm drunk, but my fingers stiffen up a little bit. Therefore, I keep it minimal. I just need to be loose enough to dance around a little bit.

I'm just sick of paying $15-$25 because I won't drink rotgut and can't drink beer.

• Members

about 5 months back i invested in a 25 dollar flask to hold a snatch of whiskey in my back pocket for shows and festivals (i really don't go out unless the event centers around music)

the flask has probably saved me 10-20 dollars at each event and that adds up if you go out once a week or two

i'm not a beer or wine drinker, i just like to nip on a little fire water as i enjoy the music (i'll drink a beer or two if i am gigging out because its usually free and i'm not going to pull out a flask on stage)

just a thought for ya

it has saved me a few bucks a week

• Members

one of the honorary members in one of my bands (a 55 year old harp player who has been gigging in bars and clubs since the age of 18) reminds us from time to time that back in the day his bands would play out on a wed. night at cowboy bars and pool halls and get paid 500-750 usually and 1,000 bucks a night in small clubs-----on a week night)

with inflation since the 70's thats allmost double what we can get on a week night and we are a preaty succesful regional band (honest!! not trying to talk shit)

he blaims this on dj's and dance clubs

they have stolen away the attraction to good ol'fashion rock'n roll

:mad:

live music bars are probably trying to make up for lost sales by over charging drinks and skimping on the bands

• Members

I've seen things that make me believe that culture is changing. A friend of mine who owns a club has been a DJ for about 25 years now. He doesn't like live music, but he hires bands three or four nights a week because he believes live music is a bigger draw. I've seen many other clubs around here make the decision to start booking four, five, sometimes even six nights a week. I'm putting together a side project trio to cash in on this, because these club owners are eager to book whoever they can get provided that they don't suck. Many club owners around here have stopped discriminating based on genre/set list and started giving the bands a shot.

• Members

Originally posted by riffdaddy

:confused:

Not quite sure what you're saying here, bro.

As much as I hate to take the bar owners side: they pay out XXX dollars for a band as opposed to paying some chimp XX dollars to dj and you're complaining about the cost of drinks or contemplating costing someone else their liquor license by taking in your own (yes it is that screwy here in KS)

• Members

Originally posted by danny60

As much as I hate to take the bar owners side: they pay out XXX dollars for a band as opposed to paying some chimp XX dollars to dj and you're complaining about the cost of drinks or contemplating costing someone else their liquor license by taking in your own (yes it is that screwy here in KS)

Oh, I won't take it into the club. I won't put the bar owners at risk. I'll keep it locked in my trunk (the only legal place to keep an open container during transport) and go out to the parking lot during breaks. I do the same thing when we play in dry counties in Oklahoma.

I would never do anything that would potentially cost a bar owner his liquor license.

Archived