dumbing it down a little...

Rockstar97

• Members

Alright...here's the deal. I just turned pro...ish. My background is in songwriting and performing with bands as a keyboard player and singer, and I've been doing the solo cover circuit for about four years now. Forgive me if this is long, but I need someone to help direct me a little.

For the solo cover gigs, I sing and play keys/guitar live with sequenced MIDI backing tracks. I did all the sequencing on my XP-60 using GM (this is the part where you DON'T make fun of me), saving it on floppy and saving the midi files on my laptop to run with Sonar 4 Producer back through the XP-60. I have a catalogue of about 150 sequences, each with Sysex messages and the like, controlling patch changes on my vocal processor and guitar processor.

That's the background. I want to get out of 1995 and start using technology. I have Reason on my laptop, which I've never really used. And since I play an S80 mainly, the XP-60 is just on top to receive the output from Sonar. I hear all about VST and all that, and I just feel so overwhelmed with the possibilities. I want to use soft synths to get better sounding instruments than, obviously, the GM that I've been using. I want to sequence new songs in Sonar as well as edit the current ones I sequenced on my XP-60 so they use soft synths. If I hear another GM drum kit I will throw something. I just bout an amazing new PA with Yorkies and an A&H MixWiz and I don't want to run crap through it.

I guess my question is what would YOU do if you were presented with a situation like mine? What soft synths would you recommend? (Keep in mind the cover tunes I do are classic rock, Top 40 and pop-country). Or should I be looking at a rackmount synth instead of relying on soft synths? So many options and I've been ignoring this stuff for so long now because I was "happy with what I had." What a load of crap. It's time for me to kick it up a notch.

Discuss. And thanks.

• Members

Theres a saying in the film industry about not filming with kids and animals - cant remember the quote but im sure many heard the reference...

In the music industry the equivelent has to be dont go on stage with a laptop (unless its a cute blond) :)

Archived