Tech 21 Question

PaulS

• Members

I am using a Tech 21 Power Cube 60 which is strictly a power amp and the Tech 21 TriAC as a preamp. This combo works lovely it's like having three amps on stage at once. My question is in the line up of pedals should I leave the TriAC at the end or break into the pedal chain the same as you would an OD. I have some OD/Distortion devices in my chain which I use on top of the TriAC as a boost etc.

Pedal Line up

Vox 487 wah

Crybaby wah

MXR Dyna Comp

Ibanez Fat Cat Dist

Coran Dist

Univox Micro Phaser

Boss CE-2

Ibanez DL10

Tokia Exciter

Tech 21 TriAC

Would it make any differance to put the TriAC after the Coran Dist pedal ?????

• Members

I would leave everything in front of your preamp - except your time based effects - the chorus and delay. Then, you might want to experiment to see where the exciter fits in the chain.

A side note - I used to use a sonic maximizer until I realized it was really just a crutch for bad tone. Once I improved my basic tone, I didn't need it anymore. It got to the point where it either didn't do anything or actually made the sound worse.

• Members

I just picked this unit up, a good price on ebay, I will have to experiment to see where it goes. I also have a BBE Sonic but it is rack mount and used mainly for my mix board setup. The purpose of the BBE maximizer is for speaker optimizing. I rarely use it as an effect in mixdown. It goes between my mixer and power amp.

• Members

Me too I have the PW60/TRI-A.C. combo. Here's my whole chain:

Ibanez RG470L w/ Seymour Duncan TB-6 in the bridge
Shure UT14 The Guitarist wireless
Keeley Mod Plus TS-9
Tech 21 NYC SansAmp TRI-A.C.
ElectroHarmonix Holy Grail
Fulltone Fat-Boost
Ernie Ball VPJR 6181 active volume pedal (with a Boss TU-12H slaved out)
Tech 21 NYC PW60

Could you please let me know how do you have the TRI-A.C. and the PW60 set? I'm looking to share some experience with people using the same set-up.

• Members

I use the Power 60 run flat eq and set the TriAC first channel to a clean fender sound, the second is a warm brit sound and the third channel is my play around setting, most of the time set up as a calif model with a silky fuzz sound. I see you use yours after your ts-9. I have usually run mine with the TriAC at the end as if you were plugging into an amp, but I think I am going to try moving it to see what gives... overall I am very happy with the setup....:)

• Members

Wow, believe me, I have a very similar approach in setting the TRI-A.C.! I put the Fender Twin on first channel and fine tuned the drive so that it stays 100% clean no matter how hard I strum. But when I kick in the Keeley TS-9 (set as a clean boost, with drive off and volume maxed), it goes into a very cool raw crunch, without getting harsh or piercing!
On the second channel I put the Marshall Plexi setting, with a bit more bass and drive. When I use this channel, the TS-9 is always on and it's quite perfect, it's pushing the amp emulation further, with lots of presence and sizzle.
Finally, on the last channel I have a high gain Boogie setting, pretty much the same as the manual preset, maybe the drive is a bit lower and the mids a bit higher. The TS-9 is constantly on here too, adding tightness, sizzle and presence.
On the Power Engine 60, i have all controls at noon, except the mids, which are slightly cut (at 11 o'clock). It sounds better this way, because it compensates the high mids added by the TS-9 in front of the TRI-A.C. If I happen to need more presence in a live context, I just increase a bit the mids on the Power Engine60, rather than increasing the volume.
Another enhancement to this set up is a Fulltone Fat-Boost which I use as a boost after the TRI-A.C. It adds more meat to the signal, more harmonics, it's really cool.
I am planning to get a Keeley Compressor and to put it between the Keeley TS-9 and the TRI-A.C. Need cash, though :(

• Members

I find the TriAC preamp to be a pretty amazing little unit. The unit acts as a analog preamp to the Power60 and reaps many sounds if you take the time to experiment with it. Like wise the power 60 has a kind of vintage look to it and is easy to tote around. You have enough power there to cover a small club and if the venue gets bigger just run it to the board and use the power 60 as a personal monitor. If your running a modeller of any type this is a good choice for an amp. Doesn't make sense to try and modell a fender when your playing a marshall. The marshall is always going to be in the model.

• Members

You have enough power there to cover a small club and if the venue gets bigger just run it to the board and use the power 60 as a personal monitor.

I tried running the PW60 direct to board and found out that nothing beats a SM57 in front of the PW60. That air moved by the speaker is just unreplaceable! I plan on getting another PW60, because I'm not 100% satisfied with the impact of only one 12'.

Archived